I've lost 50 lbs, I need a Chiropractor?

Options
I've dropped 53 Lbs of my original 303 Lbs since the middle of March just logging and exercising. In the last few days, I have noticed my body is carrying the remaining weight differently and my hip is starting to become sore. My back is a little strained to compensate, and I'm wondering if a visit to a Chiropractor is a good idea. Has anyone ever heard of this being a thing, or am I just over doing it?

Replies

• sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Could be either or both A visit to either a chriopractor or physio sounds like a good idea before it starts to interfere with your life / exercise program & congrats on the awesome loss :smiley:
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Def visit a chiropractor. I love seeing mine. Maybe increase your hip flexor stretches as well. I think as we loose we walk diff and it can cause our bodies to feel out of sorts.
  • ComptonSkyhawk
    ComptonSkyhawk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your time! I will go see the crackologist as soon as I get home in 3 days. I'll look up some hip stretches online and do them during my shifts! Have a super day!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes! Chiropractors are the best! Get recommendations from people you know, so you can find a good one. Make sure you talk to him/her & keep communication open. You might feel sore or tired after the first few adjustments, but adjustments should make you feel BETTER over time, not worse! If you're in pain when you leave or when you get home, call the chiro & tell them! Not all chiropractors are created equal (just like any doctor) so that's why I recommended finding one from referrals. Good luck!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oh, and keep in mind, just like any other treatment, chiropractic care is not a fix-all. It's supposed to be one of many things to keep you healthy. Still important to exercise, stretch, etc to keep your body healthy & functioning well.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I go to an office that has a chiropractor and a physical therapist. I see them one right after the other and they have helped me with all the imbalances I have gotten over time. Feeling better than I have in a long time for the most part.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 53 Lbs of my original 303 Lbs since the middle of March just logging and exercising. In the last few days, I have noticed my body is carrying the remaining weight differently and my hip is starting to become sore. My back is a little strained to compensate, and I'm wondering if a visit to a Chiropractor is a good idea. Has anyone ever heard of this being a thing, or am I just over doing it?

Can you elaborate on this? carrying differently, how so? hip starting to be come sore when doing? where is the pain? Why do you think you're back is "strained to compensate"?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your time! I will go see the crackologist as soon as I get home in 3 days. I'll look up some hip stretches online and do them during my shifts! Have a super day!

Haha! Funny. What kind of exercises are you doing? Maybe a consult with a physical therapist would be a better first step. Chiropractors can help with some things but do your research first and get a couple opinions. Sometimes a deep tissue massage with help as well. Do you stretch after workouts?
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not in some kind of awful pain, I would try gentle stretching and strengthening exercises targeted for the back and hips first. I went the chiropractic care route for years and never found much relief. I kept going for so long because loved ones swore by it and wanted the same for me (as did I!). Then I discovered yoga and that ended up being what my body needed. Stopped going to the chiropractor years ago. Back and hip pain has only come back when I skip yoga for too long. Not saying chiropractic care won't help you, just wanted you to know there are less expensive options. Any which way, hope you find relief!
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Chiropractors helped me immensely. I have issues with my knee and over compensate with the other, so I throw my hip out periodically. I go spend some quality time with my chiro, and then see a massage therapist to loosen things up so it doesn't pull out again quickly. My Chiropractor also gave me some great stretches to do and some PT handouts to help me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not in some kind of awful pain, I would try gentle stretching and strengthening exercises targeted for the back and hips first. I went the chiropractic care route for years and never found much relief. I kept going for so long because loved ones swore by it and wanted the same for me (as did I!). Then I discovered yoga and that ended up being what my body needed. Stopped going to the chiropractor years ago. Back and hip pain has only come back when I skip yoga for too long. Not saying chiropractic care won't help you, just wanted you to know there are less expensive options. Any which way, hope you find relief!

This is what I found too. A gentle yoga class does wonders--mine is called "yoga flex" and it has changed my life.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'd you go to a chiro they should give you home exercises to do and not schedule you for a ton of visits. You don't want to become their annuity.

You may want to go to a physical therapist who specializes in movement patterns instead.

Congrats on the loss so far and best of luck.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether you're overdoing it, because I don't know what you're doing compared to what you're capable of at this point. However, shifts in how your body carries the weight is "a thing" and will continue to be until you get to goal weight. It can affect you more and less at different times. If you've found that chiropractic has helped you in the past, definitely try it again. Massage therapy helped me immensely. Each practitioner of chiro and massage has a different approach, so you can try a few different ones if you need to. Also make sure you are doing a reasonable amount of strength training and flexibility/stretching.
    SW 301
    CW 159
    GW 150!!

• ComptonSkyhawk
    ComptonSkyhawk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I guess the first step would be to sleep in my own bed, as I have been working away from home for the last two weeks. Second step would be to see an actual professional. I have been to a Chiropractor once in my life 20 years ago. The practitioner said my hips weren't even. I imagine now they would want x-rays and such first anyway. I'm thinking a massage might be an idea, feels more muscular rather than skeletal. Never had a massage before.

I will concentrate on stretching better after workouts, I guess its a necessary evil, I just find it boring.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I guess the first step would be to sleep in my own bed, as I have been working away from home for the last two weeks. Second step would be to see an actual professional. I have been to a Chiropractor once in my life 20 years ago. The practitioner said my hips weren't even. I imagine now they would want x-rays and such first anyway. I'm thinking a massage might be an idea, feels more muscular rather than skeletal. Never had a massage before.

I will concentrate on stretching better after workouts, I guess its a necessary evil, I just find it boring.

Nobody's hips are even. Whether in your case it's enough to cause a problem on an unethical chiropractor trying to drum up business who knows.

Good luck.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Nobody's hips are even. Whether in your case it's enough to cause a problem on an unethical chiropractor trying to drum up business who knows.

Good luck.

? Nobody's hips are even? Explain please
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you shouldn't need x-rays. my husband has the same problem, he sees a physio once a month and has some exercises to do at home.