Healty diet really screws up my digestive system (not in a good way)

Options
lbride
lbride Posts: 248 Member
So I want to lose 10 lbs, had a solid two week start - lost five (good part of that water I'm sure); then my digestive system just stopped - too much "health" food, lot of greens, which have fiber, but not in the amount / type that I'm used to. My digestive system can be considered "sluggish" on a good day, so the fewer calories and the lack of the same type of fiber pretty much stopped it.

Finally back on track after eating anything and everything and trying anything and everything. (And for fun, now I'm back up those same 5lbs)

I'm back on track, and will start eating my standard fiber one every day. Anyone else's body revolt when eating a ton of green veggies? I don't typically eat much fat, and did not eliminate it anyway, so I think is the problem. Just the change in not getting the "grain" based fiber that I'm used to.

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Why did you stop eating grain based diet you were used to?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you're eating completely different then its just your body adjusting to these new foods, give it time.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Fibre's great, you just need to carefully increase how much of it you eat. If you go for a spell where nothing is coming out, it'll be followed by a spell where you're basically living on the toilet. If you want your digestive system to not be sluggish on a good day, more fibre is going to help long term. Also lots of water, coffee and tea.
  • bonnie824
    bonnie824 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    low carb will do that to me- and most people I think. If you eat low carb you need to add metamucil or something. If not, eat whole grain pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans.
  • lbride
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Why did you stop eating grain based diet you were used to?

Stopped because grains really are not that filling to me; so did it to stay within the calories allowance. Didn't go low carb - but definitely lower-carb than I typically eat.

• lbride
    Options
    Also, I drink a ton of water and coffee, always have so that has not changed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It always takes a bit of time for your body to adapt when you radically change up your diet.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Errr, yeah, if you ramp up fibre intake very quickly that's a common occurrence.

How much water are you drinking?
  • lbride
    Options
    Thanks all - guess I didn't expect as drastic of change to the digestive system b/c I didn't much change the amount of fiber intake, just the type (mostly veggies with a bit of fruit, from primarily grain fiber, fruit and some veggies).
  • lbride
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Errr, yeah, if you ramp up fibre intake very quickly that's a common occurrence.

I would say gallons, but I really don't know. Probably five or so 22 ounce water bottles a day (I have a re-fillable one) plus other drinks that I drink (I've been drinking a lot of sugar free carbonated water - maybe that's a difference?)

Amount of total fiber has not changed, just the "type" if you will.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »

I would say gallons, but I really don't know. Probably five or so 22 ounce water bottles a day (I have a re-fillable one) plus other drinks that I drink (I've been drinking a lot of sugar free carbonated water - maybe that's a difference?)

Amount of total fiber has not changed, just the "type" if you will.

Apologies for the reading comprehension fail on my part and sure that must seem puzzling.

I agree with what others have said as it seems your body is still adapting to the large scale changes you have made in some areas.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    refilling a 22 ounce bottle five times is only 110 ounces. A gallon is 128 ounces, so I really doubt you are drinking "gallons" of fluids.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't do a 360. Add some veggies into your diet, keep a few grains, and don't forget to eat fat. If your fiber is high and fat intake is low AND you're in a deficit....not pretty.
  • lbride
    Options
    refilling a 22 ounce bottle five times is only 110 ounces. A gallon is 128 ounces, so I really doubt you are drinking "gallons" of fluids.

Very true - that def was an exaggeration. That's the "water" that I drink, I also drink about 7-8 cups of coffee per day (most decaf) plus carbonated sugar free water drinks.

I could try more water - how do people do it? This post-baby body seriously already is peeing all day long!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Your " standard fiber one every day" gives you a high dose of insoluble fiber. You did change your fiber profile when you switched to greens but more so you upset the bacteria in your gut. Getting your fiber from a variety of sources allows the bacteria in your gut to diversify and be able to handle any fiber source.
  • lbride
    Options
    Your " standard fiber one every day" gives you a high dose of insoluble fiber. You did change your fiber profile when you switched to greens but more so you upset the bacteria in your gut. Getting your fiber from a variety of sources allows the bacteria in your gut to diversify and be able to handle any fiber source.

This is probably it. Thoughts about drinking a pro biotic like kefir or something? I've done that in the past when taking antibiotics. Haven't thought about it until now. (hate to "use up" calories for something that doesn't taste that great!)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My biggest question would be....

Since you've started watching your calories and eating more fibrous vegetables have you cut down on the amount of fat you were eating?

In my opinion, getting enough fat in your diet with those veggies is the single most important thing (other than getting plenty of water) to having good digestion.

P.S. If you did, i suggest you add some fats to your diet. Like coconut oil, olive oil, canola/peanut oil, a fish oil supplement, krill oil, flax seed oil, avocados, etc. It will be night and day. I recommend hitting just around 30% of your intake from fat if you aren't already and see if that fixes the issue.
  • lbride
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Since you've started watching your calories and eating more fibrous vegetables have you cut down on the amount of fat you were eating?

In my opinion, getting enough fat in your diet with those veggies is the single most important thing (other than getting plenty of water) to having good digestion.

Honestly never really ate much fat - but perhaps need to focus on incorporating it if I'm upping the veggie intake.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Honestly never really ate much fat - but perhaps need to focus on incorporating it if I'm upping the veggie intake.

yep. Fat+ Fiber+ Water = good digestion
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, how long ago were you eating all these green veggies? Going back in your food diary I only saw 1-2 servings of greens on average, but maybe I didn't go back far enough?
    How much fiber do you normally intake, and how much were you eating when it was causing you issues? Too much fiber can plug people up too. You don't need a ton if you are only eating 1200 calories, versus say 2000.