At goal weight. How long to count calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I was maintaining, I didn't log...maybe occasionally just to give myself a spot check...but part of this whole thing for me was to learn how to eat...what to eat...what a portion is and looks like, etc. MFP is training wheels. I maintained just fine practicing what I had learned the previous 6 months and maintained easily for 3 months. I'm back to logging now because I decided I wanted to shave a few more points off my BF%...but really, I fell like this is just training wheels and that we should all be able to learn what are bodies need. No way in hell I'm logging the rest of my life.

I have a dietary lifestyle that emphasizes fruits and veg, lean proteins and healthy fats..some whole grains and starches, but minimal. To boot, I train and I train and I train. There's always a race to train for and I'm always looking to get stronger and faster. This is my lifestyle whether I'm trying to shed BF or maintain my weight. Maintenance is actually really easy.
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Been logging at maintainance for about 10 months. Am thinking I might have a break from logging once I've done a year. I'm going to take a month off, weigh at the start of the month and then again at the end and if I've gained I guess I'll go back to logging again...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Reached mine oct last year and lost 2 more since without logging ( was 4 but there was a month of cake)
    I still weigh in twice a week and if my weight goes up past my goal i start logging again.

Simples:drinker:

I'm not there yet, but at this stage think I will continue to log, at the very least during the week days and perhaps not on weekends. I've heard others that do this have maintained successfully.

Or, the above suggestion also sounds good. Keep an eye on the scale and log food if needed to get back on track again. Simples!
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I plan to keep logging my meals just for the sake of making sure I don't start eating too much again. Logging my food helps hold me accountable for what I eat.

toon525.gif
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I knew from the beginning that I was not going to count for the rest of my life. I worked extra hard to learn what I could so that I would have a chance to continue to do well without counting. I logged for probably 6 months of maintenance then weaned myself off logging. I have maintained without counting (sometimes I will spot check) for over a year and a half. I still log exercise and monitor my weight and measurements but I am so much happier maintaining without counting (I always felt strange counting anyway). It isn't for everyone but it can be done.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I knew from the beginning that I was not going to count for the rest of my life. I worked extra hard to learn what I could so that I would have a chance to continue to do well without counting. I logged for probably 6 months of maintenance then weaned myself off logging. I have maintained without counting (sometimes I will spot check) for over a year and a half. I still log exercise and monitor my weight and measurements but I am so much happier maintaining without counting (I always felt strange counting anyway). It isn't for everyone but it can be done.
    That's incredibly impressive, great job! 123 lbs is a lot to lose, but keeping it off for a year and a half, especially without counting - that's amazing! It also gives me some hope. :smile:
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    That's incredibly impressive, great job! 123 lbs is a lot to lose, but keeping it off for a year and a half, especially without counting - that's amazing! It also gives me some hope. :smile:

Thank you! It wasn't easy and it takes a lot of self control and self awareness, but for me it was the best option.

Congrats on your success as well! :)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is: NEVER STOP. Doesn't matter if you're at goal. My reason for thinking this is that it's WAY to easy to fall back into old habits and it's easier to not think about what's in the food you're eating. Soon enough the weight has come back on. BUT that's me. I know I'll have to do this the rest of my life. Reason being: I recently had surgery and had a difficult recovery. Dr. told me that the last thing I needed to do while recovering was to worry about losing weight. SO - yes, I took that as "carte blanche" to eat what I wanted when I wanted, and in 3 months I gained 18 pounds.

You have to figure out what works for you. If you can maintain without logging, then great! Like others have said, maybe spot-check once in a while to see how you're doing.

For what it's worth...