I've gained 7 lbs and I don't know why!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Ok let me see if I've got all the pertinent facts:

OP is 5'4 and 138 but recently spiked to 145.
    Doesn't weigh regularly.
    Believes TDEE to be 2100 but eats 1450.
    Works out strenuously on a regular basis.
    Has seen major improvements in body composition.
    It is TOM.
    Has been at this for about 2 years.

Now some questions...
    Is all that right above?
    What is your goal weight, or goals in general?
    Do you use a food scale for logging?
    How did you determine your TDEE?
    Do you ever eat back exercise cals?
    Can you open your diary?

All of this

PLUS

if you are happier with how you look now than before, why on earth does scale weight matter?

And as an aside if you are eating at what you believe is over a 600 daily defecit - your weight over the last year would have dropped by over 50lbs - so there is something seriously wrong with your food logging / TDEE estimation or more probably both
  • SkunkOnARug
    SkunkOnARug Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. I wonder if it's possible that you gained 7 lbs in muscle weight. I'd say that was a good thing if you did. Also, I think you really look great even though you gained up to 145.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. I wonder if it's possible that you gained 7 lbs in muscle weight. I'd say that was a good thing if you did.

nope
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. I wonder if it's possible that you gained 7 lbs in muscle weight. I'd say that was a good thing if you did.

No, no it isn't.. not even a slight chance .. unfortunately that's not how it works

eating at defecit, no focus on protein, no progressive resistance programme
  • SkunkOnARug
    SkunkOnARug Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No, no it isn't.. not even a slight chance .. unfortunately that's not how it works

I'm only going by what the medical professional I see has told me. I'm not going to argue with her.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    LOL, OK then

your logical fallacy is 'appeal to authority'
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Doesn't weigh regularly.
    It is TOM.

Now some questions...
    Is all that right above?
    Can you open your diary?

All of this

PLUS

if you are happier with how you look now than before, why on earth does scale weight matter?

And as an aside if you are eating at what you believe is over a 600 daily defecit - your weight over the last year would have dropped by over 50lbs - so there is something seriously wrong with your food logging / TDEE estimation or more probably both

A deficit doesn't always mean weight loss. I seriously think I've been under eating for my activity level because most of the time I feel horrible unless I eat more. When I first started using MFP, I lost like 40 lbs. I changed nothing but it all stopped. So yeas, a deficit will render the weightloss but when done for too long, it can havoc your health and screw up hormonal balance and just mess you up. There is no possible way I can eat less and do what I'm doing. In fact, in order to keep up and build more muscle, I probably need more. My focus has really been on toning because after losing 90 lbs, I was beginning to look like a raisin. I just wasn't expecting the scale to fluctuate like this. But I have no doubt that I look better, am stronger, and much more flexible. I hate I ever got on the scale because it just me all in a frenzy. I've come a long way and I just need to keep going and probably eat more. It's been a long hard journey over the years after battling with bulimia and neurological issues. I should just be happy at the progress made. And I'm sure once my hormones balance, everything should start flowing smoothly again.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bnmoyler wrote: »

Doesn't weigh regularly.
    It is TOM.

Now some questions...
    Is all that right above?
    Can you open your diary?

All of this

PLUS

A deficit doesn't always mean weight loss. I seriously think I've been under eating for my activity level because most of the time I feel horrible unless I eat more. When I first started using MFP, I lost like 40 lbs. I changed nothing but it all stopped. So yeas, a deficit will render the weightloss but when done for too long, it can havoc your health and screw up hormonal balance and just mess you up. There is no possible way I can eat less and do what I'm doing. In fact, in order to keep up and build more muscle, I probably need more. My focus has really been on toning because after losing 90 lbs, I was beginning to look like a raisin. I just wasn't expecting the scale to fluctuate like this. But I have no doubt that I look better, am stronger, and much more flexible. I hate I ever got on the scale because it just me all in a frenzy. I've come a long way and I just need to keep going and probably eat more. It's been a long hard journey over the years after battling with bulimia and neurological issues. I should just be happy at the progress made. And I'm sure once my hormones balance, everything should start flowing smoothly again.

Be happy in your progress. It's great that you are stronger, flexible, and in a better place mentally. I'm not trying to take that away from you. But don't be fooled into thinking that your plateau is because of eating too little calories. While hormones play an essential role in regulating the body, they don't cause your body to dramatically defy the laws of physics. Energy in vs. Energy Out. If you really are eating at such a steep deficit and not seeing any weightloss, then check in with your doctor for a possible underlying health issue.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. I wonder if it's possible that you gained 7 lbs in muscle weight. I'd say that was a good thing if you did. Also, I think you really look great even though you gained up to 145.

Ok you're both right. This is a play on words. Muscle doesn't technically weight more; just more of it can be packed in a space. If you have two mason jars, one packed with muscle, one packed with fat, the one with muscle would weigh more. It's because it's dense and you can fill more of it in the container. :-)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I'm only going by what the medical professional I see has told me. I'm not going to argue with her.

You should argue with her. She is 1000% incorrect!
  • bnmoyler
    Options

Maybe not gained muscle, but toned up what was there. Maybe a teeny weeny little mini bulk. I've definitely developed muscles I didn't even know existed. It's kinda amazing. I'm proud of myself!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited June 2016
    Options

Doesn't weigh regularly.
    It is TOM.

Now some questions...
    Is all that right above?
    Can you open your diary?

All of this

PLUS

A defict ALWAYS means weight loss. Many many experienced folks here have given spot on advice..

We are trying (an sort of failing) to let you know that the conception you have in your mind is certainly ok to think that way but we see the results do not match those conceptions. Because we did not want you to keep doing the same things over and over expecting different results, we pointed out that if you wanted a certain goal there various things in the thread you should consider.

The actual facts are your numbers and actual real numbers your body are operating off of are off... so if you want to get a certain goal decide what that goal is, and reassess your numbers and logging.

Someone that states they have been in a deficit for years is alarming and a bit disheartening, when clearly you have not.

In closing.... BUT if your method works for you then keep at it.. It seems to be working to your satisfaction so keep up with that journey..
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think what everyone is trying to point out (and you are both saying the same thing) is that saying I have "been on a deficit for years" is technically inaccurate. You *think* you were at a deficit because you assumed you were burning 2100 every day still. That may have been true when you started and were actively losing weight, but as you lost weight your daily burn would naturally decrease (you are smaller - less calories needed to maintain new lower weight). So maybe you are only burning 1900 a day now.... And thats assuming the same energy and activity level over the past few years - but you say you have less energy on days you dont eat as much, and you have a lot of stress in your life. When you have less "energy" (i.e. you feel drained) you are not burning the same amount of calories - on those days you probably think you are putting in the same effort, but chances are you are walking a little slower, resting a little more etc. So that might bring you down to only 1500-1700 calories a day burned on those days. You say you sometimes eat back exercise calories, so you may be overstating those slightly. In any case, eating an "average" of 1450, and burning probably between 1500 and 2000 daily depending on exercise - that is a very small deficit that even a small amount off on your estimated exercise calories and your logging could wipe that out - causing you to maintain.

Either way - you are both saying the same thing, just arguing over the wording - you were not eating "at a deficit " for two years, even if you were eating the same amount you were when you were losing weight. Energy output fluctuates a lot based on activity, stress, weight, sleep, etc - so it is likely that your energy output was less than it used to be.

But awesome on the increased muscle! That raises your output in general some, so always a good thing. Sounds like you have a good head about it all - you will be just fine I think :)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Maybe not gained muscle, but toned up what was there. Maybe a teeny weeny little mini bulk. I've definitely developed muscles I didn't even know existed. It's kinda amazing. I'm proud of myself!

This doesn't really happen, either. When people say 'toning' what they're actually referring to is a loss of body fat. See your muscle is the shape it is . . . that doesn't change. But when you lose the fat around the muscle its shape becomes much more apparent. It is commonly referred to a 'toning' but really because you don't have the same amount of fat over the muscle anymore its shape is displayed much more prominently. That's all it really is. You also don't really develop muscles, you can grow them. But the muscles you have are the muscles you've always had.
  • bnmoyler
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    I think what everyone is trying to point out (and you are both saying the same thing) is that saying I have "been on a deficit for years" is technically inaccurate. You *think* you were at a deficit because you assumed you were burning 2100 every day still. That may have been true when you started and were actively losing weight, but as you lost weight your daily burn would naturally decrease (you are smaller - less calories needed to maintain new lower weight). So maybe you are only burning 1900 a day now.... And thats assuming the same energy and activity level over the past few years - but you say you have less energy on days you dont eat as much, and you have a lot of stress in your life. When you have less "energy" (i.e. you feel drained) you are not burning the same amount of calories - on those days you probably think you are putting in the same effort, but chances are you are walking a little slower, resting a little more etc. So that might bring you down to only 1500-1700 calories a day burned on those days. You say you sometimes eat back exercise calories, so you may be overstating those slightly. In any case, eating an "average" of 1450, and burning probably between 1500 and 2000 daily depending on exercise - that is a very small deficit that even a small amount off on your estimated exercise calories and your logging could wipe that out - causing you to maintain.

Either way - you are both saying the same thing, just arguing over the wording - you were not eating "at a deficit " for two years, even if you were eating the same amount you were when you were losing weight. Energy output fluctuates a lot based on activity, stress, weight, sleep, etc - so it is likely that your energy output was less than it used to be.

But awesome on the increased muscle! That raises your output in general some, so always a good thing. Sounds like you have a good head about it all - you will be just fine I think :)

Thanks for the feedback and positive reinforcement. You're probably right and I just realized I don't think I gained 7 lbs of fat because I just lost 5 of them overnight lol
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    It would only take an excess of 233 calories per day to put on 7 pounds in 3.5 months.

Is it possible that your logging is not accurate? Are you weighing your food?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Just saw your post about 5 pounds overnight - maybe it was your scale - maybe you weighed in the evening?

Definitely water weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

This doesn't really happen, either. When people say 'toning' what they're actually referring to is a loss of body fat. See your muscle is the shape it is . . . that doesn't change. But when you lose the fat around the muscle its shape becomes much more apparent. It is commonly referred to a 'toning' but really because you don't have the same amount of fat over the muscle anymore its shape is displayed much more prominently. That's all it really is. You also don't really develop muscles, you can grow them. But the muscles you have are the muscles you've always had.

That's not entirely true either. She did and very well factually "toned" up the muscles that she already was able to maintain through weight loss. And did she grow enormous muscles?.. NO..

There is a possibility that she did increase a wee bit (grow new) muscle fibers but what the relevant results was she could not be doing this in a deficit. The calories had to be at maintenance calories plus a small surplus to do this.. OP stated she had been eating a deficit and rarely ate more, when clearly this was not the case and also hense my wording the "mini bulk" (eating maintenance plus a small surplus) or with some fat loss she could have been in a recomp (but she said she did have issues with reaching protein) so I cannot concur with this conclusion, as this process takes 100% precision, adequate/higher protein intake and a progressive overloading program..

So we are all grasping at straws and actually this has gotten off point several times to explain the intial question which was was the 7 pound gain.. But as OP explained further and further and revealed a little bit more information the facts did not back up the results or conclusion..

The end result, OP is extremely happy.. and gosh that is more than awesome. We are all striving to become better versions of ourselves and OP has set an example that no matter what the numbers are or are not, it is how we feel.. and actually at the end of the day the way we feel not matter what the facts are, so who cares???

I too only wanted to post advice or things for OP or in the case others like newbies to the MFP community that may read this can understand that the facts and the logic behind in this particular case are not in accordance and what to consider.

• Sued0nim
    Options

Excellent post @roxiedawn
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Doesn't weigh regularly.
    It is TOM.

Now some questions...
    Is all that right above?
    Can you open your diary?

All of this

PLUS

A defict ALWAYS means weight loss. Many many experienced folks here have given spot on advice..

We are trying (an sort of failing) to let you know that the conception you have in your mind is certainly ok to think that way but we see the results do not match those conceptions. Because we did not want you to keep doing the same things over and over expecting different results, we pointed out that if you wanted a certain goal there various things in the thread you should consider.

The actual facts are your numbers and actual real numbers your body are operating off of are off... so if you want to get a certain goal decide what that goal is, and reassess your numbers and logging.

Someone that states they have been in a deficit for years is alarming and a bit disheartening, when clearly you have not.

In closing.... BUT if your method works for you then keep at it.. It seems to be working to your satisfaction so keep up with that journey..

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Doesn't weigh regularly.
    It is TOM.

Now some questions...
    Is all that right above?
    Can you open your diary?

All of this

PLUS

You changed nothing and the loss stopped because you had ~ reached the level of maintenance of your new weight. Reassess goals every 10ish pounds or go ahead and set your calories at maintenance for your goal weight and just eat that until you hit it. You're doing great! Remember that the logging mistakes are less forgiving as you get closer to goal. Its a hard truth for many of us :)