gentle exercises while recovering from a sprained knee

Options
jessiferrrb
jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
i'm worried about losing ground while i take it easy on my knee (and ankle and wrist) after an accident.

can anyone recommend any exercises that are low impact but still give a good burn. so far i've been sticking to walking for the most part. I did kenpo-x a couple of times but i think i may be pushing my luck and setting myself back in recovering.

Replies

• SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't push yourself too much maybe try light swimming if you have acess?
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    thanks! good call on the swimming. i have access to a tiny pool and a big slimy lake. lol
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Less about everything and more about the ankle:
    Trace the alphabet with your toes to help recovery on injured ankle.
    Stand on one leg (injured ankle) during commercial breaks while watching t.v. The constant fight to stay still helps strengthen the ankle without heavy impact.
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    my ankles are a MESS. broken each of them multiple times. learned the hard way not to drink and wear heels, especially in the winter.

i'm gonna try those though, for sure.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @jessiferrb:
    I wish you a complete recovery.
    I had ankle reconstruction ( just one, thank God) after a car accident 6 years ago. It took me 6 months to be able to put my impacted foot in the ground. The only exercise I did was the rehab, directed by the rehab expert, paid by my medical insurance.
    I stopped using shoes with heels, not even a one inch. My ankle can not handle high heels any longer. I am grateful that I am alive and I can walk. I give thanks every day
    Good luck
  • jessiferrrb
    Options
    @jessiferrb:
    I wish you a complete recovery.
    I had ankle reconstruction ( just one, thank God) after a car accident 6 years ago. It took me 6 months to be able to put my impacted foot in the ground. The only exercise I did was the rehab, directed by the rehab expert, paid by my medical insurance.
    I stopped using shoes with heels, not even a one inch. My ankle can not handle high heels any longer. I am grateful that I am alive and I can walk. I give thanks every day
    Good luck

oh wow, that's horrible, i'm glad you are recovered! i don't wear heels any more, but to be fair to stilettos i broke a lot of bones as a kid before i was a slave to fashion. i definitely won't rush into anything too strenuous. thank you.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing an orthopedist reward for working with a physical therapist I would talk to them. Ihad 2 scopes on my knee and a double hip replacement.
    They may want you to take it easy cuz your body does expend a lot of energy healing itself