Vitamin A

I have been eating sweet potatoes with my breakfast lately and actually just noticed that I get over 400% vitamin a.
Is that bad should I stop them for a bit.

Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Vitamin A does have a toxicity level and it can harm people if they have too much of it. But the toxic kind is the *pre-formed* kind that is found in animal products and supplements (that are derived from animal products). People who eat lots of certain fruits or vegetables will meet their needs for Vitamin A, but it isn't pre-formed and you don't have to worry about getting too much. The Vitamin A precursors in fruits and vegetables are water-soluble and if you have more than your body requires, you simply eliminate them.
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Vitamin A does have a toxicity level and it can harm people if they have too much of it. But the toxic kind is the *pre-formed* kind that is found in animal products and supplements (that are derived from animal products). People who eat lots of certain fruits or vegetables will meet their needs for Vitamin A, but it isn't pre-formed and you don't have to worry about getting too much. The Vitamin A precursors in fruits and vegetables are water-soluble and if you have more than your body requires, you simply eliminate them.

Thank you very much.