Is it normal for one's hair to fall out while dieting?

Options
I've noticed since I've been eating at a deficit that my hair has become really nasty. It falls out at a much higher rate than before, and now it looks scraggly and limp. I was trying to grow it out, but it looks like I'll have to go get it cut shorter again.

Is this normal for eating at a deficit? Or is there some nutrient I'm lacking in that I should try to increase?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Could be a vitamin deficiency, or a sign that you're cutting fat too low. Or a number of other things. But no, not normal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. You should get checked out by a doc to rule some things out. It could be a vitamin deficiency, too little fat, protein, or calories, or it could be a sign of something more serious. Definitely get checked out.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    NO. That is not normal. Malnutrition and too steep a deficit will cause hair loss. If you've taken time to read the stickies and have a reasonable weight loss goal and plan, then it could be something else. Visit a doctor asap.
  • jakefitzgerald93
    jakefitzgerald93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How many protein shakes do you have per day? You honestly can't beat real food buddy
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Usually an indication of being very low on calories and/or you are eliminating food group(s). How low is your fat intake?
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I take Biotin twice a day, which is a cheap vitamin you can get at CVS or Walgreens. My hair stopped falling out.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    That's generally a sign that you're not eating enough and/or suffering from malnutrition. Get to a doctor ASAP and get good solid advice based on your needs.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It could be that your hair is going through it's natural cycle. Once hair gets so long it will fall out a lot more. The length this happens is different for everyone. It's common to notice your drain in the show getting clogged easier because of this, but if you have noticed it by looking at your hair you should see a doctor and get blood work done. If this is a malnutrition problem it is nothing to play around with. Lack of proper nutrition can have irreversible effects.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. That's a sign of too little fat and too little calories.

How many calories are you consuming and how much fat?
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No not normal. Same as the others have said.
    Is it an all over thinning rather than clumps? I had alopecia areata years ago and had a few 50p coin size bald patches. They tested my thyroid but in the end it was "one of those things".
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not falling out in clumps, more of an all-over thinning. I've always worn my hair short in the past, this is my first time really growing it out, so who knows, it could just be because it's longer that it's becoming ugly. But I did notice a correlation between the increased hair loss and eating at a deficit. I generally don't eat back my exercise calories; maybe I should consider that. My recommended net calories from MFP is 1580, and I generally eat that amount every day.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal. It can be a sign of malnutrition or thyroid problems. Definitely see a doctor about it.
  • ahumanpug
    ahumanpug Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My hair was the same way. I noticed that the roots of the hair were still in tact. My doctor recommended adding more healthy fats. She assured me that adding 100 calories to my daily goal would not set me back if I used them to incorporate the fats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    It's not falling out in clumps, more of an all-over thinning. I've always worn my hair short in the past, this is my first time really growing it out, so who knows, it could just be because it's longer that it's becoming ugly. But I did notice a correlation between the increased hair loss and eating at a deficit. I generally don't eat back my exercise calories; maybe I should consider that. My recommended net calories from MFP is 1580, and I generally eat that amount every day.

Unlike TDEE calculators, MFP does not factor in exercise as it uses NEAT calculations. You are supposed to eat your exercise calories back. That said, the burns are often considered inflated and many suggest you eat back around 50% of the calories you earn from exercise.

What is your weekly weight loss goal set to, what's your average loss, and how many pounds do you have to go until you are at goal?

When my anemia is untreated I have hair loss like you describe but this can be caused by a number of factors so do have your doctor run tests.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    my hair does the same thing any time i do a 'for-real' weight loss regimen. i don't want to be accused of promoting a brand, but i do take a gnc vitamin that i have found to be great for my hair and nails. pm me if you want and i'll tell you which.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else has said, since this is the first time you've worn it long, have you changed your hair products accordingly? Long hair requires different maintenance than short hair does.

Try to shampoo only your scalp and deep condition the ends regularly. Do you have it trimmed regularly? That will eliminate split ends and keep it healthier looking.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a multi-vitamin and/or biotin as suggested earlier? If you don't like taking pills (I'm one of that number) good gummy options are out there - not calorie-free but you can add them into your daily calorie allowance. The addition of 100 calories of a good fat (if you're not already doing that) was also a good suggestion. Your skin will appreciate these solutions as well.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Your goal is 1580 + exercise calories, so you are under-eating.
    If you don't want to estimate calories on the day of exercise then don't use MFP to set your calorie goal - use a TDEE calculator instead.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    In addition to what everyone else has said, since this is the first time you've worn it long, have you changed your hair products accordingly? Long hair requires different maintenance than short hair does.

Try to shampoo only your scalp and deep condition the ends regularly. Do you have it trimmed regularly? That will eliminate split ends and keep it healthier looking.
    This. However, I've had hair to my thighs and beyond and it only started falling out when I cut my fats and calories way too low or when my hormones were out of whack (such as when I stopped taking birth control). Hair care starts from within.

Also, hair growth happens in stages. After a certain amount of time, older hair strands get replaced by newer ones.