I'm having trouble losing weight... :(

o2bjenni
o2bjenni Posts: 2 Member
I started out a year ago at my highest weight of 317. Since then I've worked my way down 267. 50 lbs in a year is pretty decent I think, but for the past several months, I have trouble losing a few pounds and keeping them off. No joke, this past Friday I weighed myself at 255 at 8 am then at 12 wanted to show someone the changes, and I was 265. Now in the time between, I drank a chocolate peotien shake and had a small salad, but packed full of goodies like croutons and cranberries. Still, that's all I had in the time frame and I gained 10 pounds. I'm like Oprah, my weight just goes up and down.
Does anybody know what's happening and how I can get control over it? For the record, I live in an area of the country where at my size working out outdoors is a stupid decision that could cost you your life. The heat is beyond sweltering this time of year. So my workouts haven't been as intense as they were over winter. Could that be the reason?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    o2bjenni wrote: »
    I started out a year ago at my highest weight of 317. Since then I've worked my way down 267. 50 lbs in a year is pretty decent I think, but for the past several months, I have trouble losing a few pounds and keeping them off. No joke, this past Friday I weighed myself at 255 at 8 am then at 12 wanted to show someone the changes, and I was 265. Now in the time between, I drank a chocolate peotien shake and had a small salad, but packed full of goodies like croutons and cranberries. Still, that's all I had in the time frame and I gained 10 pounds. I'm like Oprah, my weight just goes up and down.
    Does anybody know what's happening and how I can get control over it? For the record, I live in an area of the country where at my size working out outdoors is a stupid decision that could cost you your life. The heat is beyond sweltering this time of year. So my workouts haven't been as intense as they were over winter. Could that be the reason?

You didn't gain 10 pounds of fat (that's 35,000 calories over your daily maintenance). You gained water weight. We're not in this to lose water.....we want to lose fat. The number on the scale can lie....high sodium (retain water)....sore muscles (retain water)....time of month (retain water).

If up/down DAILY scale fluctuations make you crazy.....don't weigh every single day. Weigh once a week.....same scale .....same time of day. You are looking for a downward TREND.

Workouts have very little to do with weight loss. Working out helps you burn a few calories, but it's far more important for fitness.

Weighing and logging every single calorie you put in your mouth will have a much greater impact on weight loss.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Your weight will be higher in the afternoons as your body stores water to help digest food, keep your organs functioning, etc. That's why most of us weigh first thing in the morning.
    For fun, take three days and weigh yourself morning, noon, and night, and record the fluctuations. Once you understand how your body stores and expels water, you'll feel a lot better about seeing that scale jump up a few pounds.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Weighing more than once a day is pointless..all the food you've consumed will add to your morning weight, that's common sense imo.

You're doing good so keep up the good work...you will get there.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited June 2016
    Your weight went up 7.5 lb in 6 hours. So? That's what we'd all measure if we tried that stunt.

Also, if you are going to ask the community for help, please make your diary public.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after you use the bathroom.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Your weight is not linear: (having or being a response or output that is directly proportional to the input). If it was that easy then we all would be amazing. Having said that, when I think of my weight, I think if the numbers on the scale like my body's heartbeat. It rises and falls according to so many variables, time, exercise, the phase of the moon....(ok the last one is a long stretch). I take it with a grain of salt. It's a tool like anything else, like my food scale, but doesn't DEFINE me. It's a nice "starting point" early in the morning.....compared to the day before at the same time.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Don't PANIC -

My weight fluctuates like crazy from time to time, during the day and week to week. Extra sodium, water, fluid retention, waste in your system, stress, high cortisol, insomnia etc etc a myriad of reasons can raise that scale number and that is the reason why scales are best used to assess the trend, not the numbers in isolation.

As others have pointed out weight loss isn't linear and weighing yourself multiple times during the day provides you with no accurate data - the overall trend down is what you are aiming for and that is exactly what you are achieving with the 50 lbs you have lost.

Make sure your logging and weighing (in grams) is tight, be patient and persistent and try to not make this any harder on yourself than it has to be.

You are doing great.