Smoothie vs food

Options
I keep seeing people consuming smoothies, however I am confused isn't it the same as consuming the fruit/veggie itself. I am not sure I am grasping the point of making a smoothie when i get get the same calories if I simply ate the fruit/veggie. Please shed some light on the benefits of consuming a smoothie vs eating the fruit/veggie

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think most people who eat smoothies add stuff to them (like flax, or protein powder, or spinach), which would be awkward to eat in a solid form with fruit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love my smoothies!

I add

Avocado
    spinach
    chia seeds
    flaxseed
    collagen powder
    yogurt
    almond milk
    banana
    protein powder (choc/PB)
    oats
    bee pollen granules

Dumping all of this is in a bowl and eating it would taste terrible. But blending it all into a smoothie makes it turn out like a thick chocolate/peanut butter milkshake.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh, and sometimes i also add liquid egg whites. Which would make a bowl of my ingredients taste extra delish, not! :tongue:
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My son has aspergers and he won't eat fruit or veg, it's the texture...
    But in smoothies he drinks the strangest fruit combinations and he loves it. While I would love him to eat not drink his fruit it is still so much better than supplements.
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree, the main reason is to be able to add supplements such as protein powder which will prolong the fullness factor of the smoothie meal. Smoothies are convenient, easy to make, and easy to keep the ingredients on hand.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have done smoothies in the past mainly for breakfast. Added protein powder with frozen fruit and milk mainly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think most people who eat smoothies add stuff to them (like flax, or protein powder, or spinach), which would be awkward to eat in a solid form with fruit.

This, plus it's cold on a hot day.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options

My smoothies are usually Optimum Nutrition protein powder, almond milk and a cup of strawberries or other fruit. So it's less the fruit and more disguising the protein powder for me.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have smoothies because I get in produce that I wouldn't normally eat. I hate spinach (unless I make spinach chips) so I always throw a few cups into a smoothie with fruit and almond/soy/cashew milk. It helps me get the iron that I otherwise lack in my diet.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I keep seeing people consuming smoothies, however I am confused isn't it the same as consuming the fruit/veggie itself. I am not sure I am grasping the point of making a smoothie when i get get the same calories if I simply ate the fruit/veggie. Please shed some light on the benefits of consuming a smoothie vs eating the fruit/veggie

Some people believe it is the same, though it is not. When blending and juicing fruits and vegetables you're receiving a finer extraction of nutrients more readily available to be absorbed easier, faster, and sooner by your gut system. Most people, when consuming food, do not chew properly, forcing their body to work harder in the process of digestion and absorption, losing most of the gains of eating healthier(especially if their digestion and metabolism are poor.) The real benefits of purchasing whole foods, are that you receive better preservation of nutrients, fewer added chemicals and ingredients, and a healthier and safer result of doing so.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I guess I will look into consuming smoothies. Thanks guys.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer the taste or texture of a smoothie to eating the fruits/vegetables by themselves.

Some people like the convenience of a smoothie (I can blend up fruits and vegetables and drink it on my way to work, something I can't do -- easily -- with a bowl of fruits and vegetables).

Some people like the ease of being able to combine certain supplements or extras into their fruits and vegetables (protein powder, seeds, etc).

Some people like disguising the taste or texture of certain fruits or vegetables they want to eat, but don't really care for (like greens).
    This! I can get a great meal with greek yogurt, flaxseed, frozen fruit while on the go.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly protein normally, so I don't have to worry about disguising the protein powder, but I do disguise the veggies. I get a big bag of the mixed frozen fruit, some different types of juices, and some different fresh vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, and asparagus. I do like asparagus, and fresh spinich is good in a salad, but I'm not crazy about the others. I get the frozen fruit instead of fresh because it always seems to go bad before I can use all the fresh fruit up. Plus, it's already prepared so I can just weigh out a few ounces. And I do it so I can have my serving of veggies without having to taste them, I get a nice cold drink on a hot day, AND the benefit of actually absorbing all of the nutrients more readily. I got a NutriBullet, and it really is amazing for blending everything together really smoothly. Only problem is that my kids and I have used it so much, the blades are beginning to come lose, so I'm gonna end up having to get another one fairly soon. It has lasted about 4 years though.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Some people believe it is the same, though it is not. When blending and juicing fruits and vegetables you're receiving a finer extraction of nutrients more readily available to be absorbed easier, faster, and sooner by your gut system. Most people, when consuming food, do not chew properly, forcing their body to work harder in the process of digestion and absorption, losing most of the gains of eating healthier(especially if their digestion and metabolism are poor.) The real benefits of purchasing whole foods, are that you receive better preservation of nutrients, fewer added chemicals and ingredients, and a healthier and safer result of doing so.

That sounds like a lot of bro science, bro.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I always make a smoothie for breakfast on gym days because it's quick and easy and I use frozen fruit/berries in it which I wouldn't want to eat solid and frozen lol. it also means I can make it with some protein-enhanced milk and some instant coffee for my morning caffiene so that I don't have to sit around sipping on a hot beverage AND drink a smoothie before heading out to the gym.