Fluffy, Disheartened, Looking for some Vegan Advice - My Story

Options
Hello! I'm Lauren and I'm just looking for support, advice, and friends. Please don't advise me to eat animal products though cause I'm not about that life. Here's my story:

I have been moving toward a 100% vegan lifestyle for the better part of a year now. When I first started the transition I shed pounds so fast. I quit MFP and I vowed never to count calories again. I thought I'd found the magic elixir!

My boyfriend is vegan and a big fan of fruititarians, raw til wheneverers, and all kinds of abundant eating youtube personalities. He is in pretty good shape but his work is highly physical and he eats a LOT. He claims to always have lots of energy and he is so active even when he's not working. I on the other hand, always felt weak and tired going vegan. When I would complain to him about not feeling very satisfied or feeling low energy, bloat, unable to work out, etc he would say that I didn't eat enough. I would explain that I didn't want to gain weight and felt like I was eating plenty for my size and sedentary desk job.

My diet mostly consists of fruits, nuts, veggies, hummus, olive oil, avocado, salads with chickpeas or tofu, stir fries or curries with tofu and rice, beans & rice with veggies, bean chili, salad rolls with tofu & peanut sauce, (yes I've had tempeh, I just suck at cooking it), veggie sushi, quinoa, pasta, and some vegan junk food like pizza, chips, coconut bliss, chocolate, etc which I try to limit but I probably don't limit enough.

I guess the constant encouragement to eat more sunk in somewhere along the way. It's been about 9 months and I feel much better than I used to but I also eat so much more now too, especially rice. I just feel so much better when I really fill up, which wasn't really a thing for me pre- going vegan. I only eat when I'm hungry, and rarely snack. I stopped counting calories (this is my first day back) so I have nothing concrete to show you, but I just take liberties at meal time to pack in way more food. I have more energy now, I even feel like being active every once in a while, but I am gaining fat. I don't have a scale but my pants are cutting in and I look gross in photos. I'm so unhappy because I thought once I went vegan I would never feel like this again, and here I am, back to where I've spent most of my adulthood, unhappy with my appearance. It's such a *kitten* feeling.

I need some kind of balance. I am going to try counting calories for a while even though it tends to drive me crazy. Welcoming all the support I can get. Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Counting calories is easy way to stay within goals.
    Don't forget to take the b12 supplement or a daily multivitamin.
    Since you are a vegan, have you ever heard of the site Cronometer? Go look.
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Question- do you take a multivitamin that includes B12, vit d, b6, iron, iodine, a bit of calcium?
    If against supplements, try using Cronometer for a couple of days.

Thanks for the reply. I don't take a multi but I take the first 3. I don't take calcium or iodine and have been off iron for a while...
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,069 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

9. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups

Please choose the most appropriate board or group for your post and post it once. Posting the same message to multiple boards or multiple groups is a form of spam. Please note that this is NOT a guideline against inadvertently posting a question another member has asked before. We explicitly allow members to post questions that have been asked previously by other members. If you see a member post a topic that you think has been asked before by another member, please respond politely or simply move on. However, the same member cannot ask the same question or post the same topic more than once.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

To reply, please reply to this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10404996/reposting-this-here-looking-for-some-vegan-advice

At our discretion, this closed discussion may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.