How quick is TOO quick for weight loss

Options
I'm 296lb 6 foot and 32 years old. I have a large frame and people are always shocked to find out how much I weigh. At my worst I was 370lbs 1 month ago I was at 328 and that's where I've mostly been hovering for years. A couple weeks ago I finally had enough and in the middle of the week i decided I'm starting to change. I've started a diet that consists of 1000 +\- 100 calories per day. My diet consists of mostly chicken, veggies, light soup, and fruit. Im not drinking soda or eating sweets or eating bread or pasta. I don't have an overly physical job but I am on my feet the entire day and moving and lifting. I have been losing about 1lb per day on average. My fear is that I will end up with some nasty skin flaps. I am looking for some general tips and advice on how to avoid That.

Replies

• matthewlembke
    matthewlembke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm very reluctant to up the calories and I don't expect to sustain that level of loss. I'm having zero difficulty strictly adhering to the diet plan. I just plan to try to add more working out into the mix to help keep the loss going
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm very reluctant to up the calories and I don't expect to sustain that level of loss. I'm having zero difficulty strictly adhering to the diet plan. I just plan to try to add more working out into the mix to help keep the loss going

Why? But to answer your original question. Yes, that's too fast.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    1000 isn't even enough for me, a 5'4 140 pound girl. I agree with mitch16, definitely eat more calories. It'll be way more sustainable. If you insist on eating 1000 calories though, definitely don't up your exercise unless you're going to eat those calories back
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You kind of look like Bryce Lewis.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I started writing a detailed post about potential concerns with rapid weight loss and whether or not it applied to you.

Then I deleted it because it had nothing to do with the question you were asking. LOL.

I honestly don't know if rate of weight loss effects loose skin. It may simply be the total amount lost regardless of what pace you lose it at.

• pearceflint92
    pearceflint92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm abit bigger than you mate and I eat 1400 calories. My metabolism is all screwed up from prescription drugs over the years and if I eat any higher I don't lose. Eat how ever much you can I feel completely full at 1400. Some skinny people eat 2000 and are still hungry but some others can eat 1000 and be full it's just different for everyone
  • matthewlembke
    Options
    My goal is 180 to 200. It largely depends what weight I feel comfortable at. Just to make sure there is no confusion, my current goal is to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible without resorting to some form of surgery. 1lb per week would take me 2 years to get where o want and I'm afraid that's just not even remotely acceptable. I am aware that 1000 calories a day is not overly healthy, but neither is being nearly 300lbs. Once I achieve my basic goal, I fully intend to change my diet to a higher calorie and high protein permanently sustainable plan. As I lose weight I will be increasing my work out levels and compensating my increasing my calories. But phase one is to lose weight fast. Phase 2 is to put muscle back on and sustain a long term healthy diet/workout plan.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My goal is 180 to 200. It largely depends what weight I feel comfortable at. Just to make sure there is no confusion, my current goal is to lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible without resorting to some form of surgery. 1lb per week would take me 2 years to get where o want and I'm afraid that's just not even remotely acceptable. I am aware that 1000 calories a day is not overly healthy, but neither is being nearly 300lbs. Once I achieve my basic goal, I fully intend to change my diet to a higher calorie and high protein permanently sustainable plan. As I lose weight I will be increasing my work out levels and compensating my increasing my calories. But phase one is to lose weight fast. Phase 2 is to put muscle back on and sustain a long term healthy diet/workout plan.

Quick loss isn't the answer, though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    for me I lost all but the last 15-24 lbs slowly and so far no skin flaps,no excess so far(but I was only 69lbs overweight). they say to lose it more slowly to give the skin time to bounce back(along with a decent amount of time). and the minimum for a male is 1500 calories and thats sedentary with no exercise. so you need to eat more or you will be harming yourself in the long run in many ways,loss of muscle,malnutrition, you could have dizziness,fainting,heart problems down the road,etc etc please plug in your stats into MFP and set it to lose 2lbs a week or less and eat that amount of calories. you should not be losing per day,especially 1lb unless its water weight
  • matthewlembke
    Options
    Let me add that I appreciate all of the concern and input. I'm more than willing to compromise and change some points of my plans, but my primary concern right now will be losing weight quickly. If I do hit a point where I feel dizzy, overly tired, or really any other warning sign I will have to stop and reevaluate. I'm not really interested in killing myself with this, but I am willing to make short term sacrifice for long term success
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Let me add that I appreciate all of the concern and input. I'm more than willing to compromise and change some points of my plans, but my primary concern right now will be losing weight quickly. If I do hit a point where I feel dizzy, overly tired, or really any other warning sign I will have to stop and reevaluate. I'm not really interested in killing myself with this, but I am willing to make short term sacrifice for long term success

but that is what you are doing losing so quickly and eating so little. even if you start having those symptoms it could be the damage is already done by then or wont be reversible.you are basically starving yourself,and if you are burning a lot of that off working then you are consuming even less. you will get long term success from long term goals,you have to learn that this weight loss is for life. if you dont learn how to eat enough now,you will gain a lot of it right back, but hey if you want to harm yourself that is on you. Im not being rude but no way most people could live on 1000 calories without exercise,let alone with exercise
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I started off at over 400lbs. About 130 gone now and I can say that I never dipped below 1500 calories. 1000 is seriously not enough and may do more harm than help. More importantly, as you lose weight you have to decrease calories. You're literally giving yourself no wiggle room. You could probably manage.something close to double what you're taking in now like another poster said. Congrats on making a decision to be healthier! Seriously though, you will have healthier, sustainable weight loss eating more.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey at the beginning of January I was 258 now I am 194. I have been eating 1600 calories and I know I could not go any lower as it would just not be healthy. I suggest increasing your calorie intake.