which scale to believe; dr. office or home

BeeBee32y
BeeBee32y Posts: 15
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Two weeks ago I went to the doctor. The scale at the doctor's office read 238. when I came home I got on my scale and it read 242. So of course with me being so fluffy:blushing: , I wanted to accept the smaller number. But today I was kind of curious because my uniform is loosening up, I went on and weighed myself. It said 239. If I go with the dr. office scale, I'm 235. So which one do I go by?

Replies

• mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    I would go by the one at home since that is the one you are going to be weighing in on more often.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    I had the same problem, because I didn't even own a pair of scales so I would weigh at the Dr. or at the gym and of course they are always different. I finally just broke down and bought a set of scales and just use those for consistencies sake.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    you should weigh yourself on the same scale 1x a week at the same time of day. scales are calibrated differently

I do it Sat morning after potty time......before breakfast.........

:flowerforyou:
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Whichever one is less, lol.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I know it's nice to see a smaller number, but I say go with your home scale. You want to be as consistent as possible. So, unless you plan on weighing in every week on the doctor's scale, go with your own. Besides, it's better to overestimate than under.
  • BeeBee32y
    ok! lmao:flowerforyou:
  • BeeBee32y
    Whichever one is less, lol.
    ok! lmao:flowerforyou:
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Both showed a three pound weight loss so I say use the home one since you will use it more frequently. When you go to the doc's just remember the difference.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I played this game with myself as well a few weeks back between the gym scale (which I *thought* was accurate as it was a dr's scale....NOT!), my scale, etc. I bought myself a new scale with new batteries and I keep off the other scales. I reasoned to me, in the end, like others said, it is about a 3 lb loss, not about a number at the end of the day. Just go with one consistent scale. It will save you a lot of mind games....trust me. :grumble:
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    i have same problem only they are both myhome scales.
    2lb differance in them, id prefer take the lower number but iv opted for bigger one.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Another thing I do is not raise my weight on my ticker if I see a gain one week. Over a 2 yr period I have found that if I wait 1 wk (could be days, but I weigh 1x wk) I always end up with a loss!

For me, psychologically, I feel like crap with a gain.........and I KNOW it is not a real one, just the Thai I had on Saturday night :laugh:

Now if that same gain is there on the 3rd week, I start working on my food and exercise to see what I am doing wrong.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    I have the exact opposite problem. The dr.'s scale is about 5 lbs. heavier than my at home scale.
    Granted I weigh at home in the nude in the morning before eating... and always at the doc it's in my work clothes, in the afternoon, after at least 2 meals.
    But even when I get home I don't show a 5lb. weight gain. 2-3 MAX. I only go to the doc once every 3 months though and I weigh myself at home once a week. plus I put a 10lb. weight on my at-home scale and the scale read 9.8lbs. I'd say that's pretty darn accurate. I wonder when the last time is that the doctor's office calibrated their scale? I'll tell you it's not often.
This discussion has been closed.