Training for a mud run...any advice??

Options
I am training for Rugged Maniac, a 5k, 25 obstacles mud run. I strength train 3 days a week and run or do intense cardio on alternating days (1 rest day/wk). Any advice for training and preparing for this?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one on Saturday. I've done nothing to prepare. I just sign up for stuff and do it! Lol - I guess I'm no help!
  • ammie34
    ammie34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Guitar Jerry. I am too cheap to join a gym, so I might have to get a little creative at home. :)

Good luck, Ready2Rock206! Let me know how the mud run goes!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ammie34 wrote: »
    Thanks, Guitar Jerry. I am too cheap to join a gym, so I might have to get a little creative at home. :)

Good luck, Ready2Rock206! Let me know how the mud run goes!

I'm training for my first mud run, and I can't go to the gym this week. I'm doing convict conditioning (bodyweight strength training, free pdf online) and lots of burpees. Sometimes I run for 5 min, then do burpees, repeat. The convict conditioning has been surprisingly good because it works everything, but the early steps of pull up progression have been working my fingers. And I'm starting the push up progression on fingertips, so that's been good for my hands too.
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're gonna be fine. RM was my first obstacle course, was a blast!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Old Dirty shoes and clothing out of the laundry bin. ;)
    New clean clothes and towels in the car. :)
    Plastic and double blankets over the seat in your vehicle. Don't want to ruin the seat after the race. B)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Use old shoes, or shoes that you're ok with having out of commission for several days as they dry post-mud cleaning.

Definitely have clean clothes and towels for afterwards.

Try to run in one of the early heats so you are at least slogging through clean mud, and the obstacles won't be as dirty. ;)