Maintenance and Calorie Damage

Options
ve191pjz64nt.jpg

Okay, so I reached my goalweight, yay! Now I obviously shouldn't lose more weight (a goal is a goal), but I don't want to gain weight too.

My sister told me I will damage my metabolism, but I've eaten a minimum of 1300 every day. That shouldn't damage my metabolism, right?? Or?

Also ... I am at friight to gain the weight back (boohoo). Is it healthy, and can you live with it for the rest of yo life, to only eat about 1500-1600 kcal's per day? Also ... would it make me gain weight, if mymaintenance is at 1500-1600 ? (It shouldn't , right? My sister says I will get fat as a pig and be able to be served as a christmas turkey. Lol, she mean.)

Anyway. If anyone has any tips on healthy eatimg and also if someone wants to share the best nutrition-filled foods that work for weight loss , please be so kind to share them with me!

xoxo

Replies

• missLEAS
    missLEAS Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If your maintenance is 1600 cals then by definition of 'maintenance' you wont gain weight.

however you should have a maintenance range as weight fluctuates.

and for whats its worth, IMO, you could do with gaining 5 - 10lbs anyway.

What's a maintance range??

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    missLEAS wrote: »
    If your maintenance is 1600 cals then by definition of 'maintenance' you wont gain weight.

What's a maintance range??

having a few pounds either side of your goal weight to account for fluctuations.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

agreed...

ditto from my husband as well.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just curious OP, are you focused more on being healthy, or on some arbitrary number on a scale and what you look like in the mirror?
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree on the suggestion to gain a few pounds, you look at little too skinny to me (just my personal taste).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your stats: height, weight, and how much did you lose? How fast did you lose it?

It's unlikely that your true maintenance number is only 1500-1600 especially if you are exercising.

As others have said, maintenance is usually a range of maybe 3-5 lbs that people naturally fluctuate between. Depending on how fast you lost the weight you may see a temporary spike on the scales when you increase your calories from water retention. It is normal and should settle back down in a few days.
  • missLEAS
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Just curious OP, are you focused more on being healthy, or on some arbitrary number on a scale and what you look like in the mirror?

Well, I want to be skinny and look good, but I want to stay healthy while doing so :)

• missLEAS
    Options
    What are your stats: height, weight, and how much did you lose? How fast did you lose it?

It's unlikely that your true maintenance number is only 1500-1600 especially if you are exercising.

As others have said, maintenance is usually a range of maybe 3-5 lbs that people naturally fluctuate between. Depending on how fast you lost the weight you may see a temporary spike on the scales when you increase your calories from water retention. It is normal and should settle back down in a few days.

I'm 175 cm tall, and I weight yesterday 55.8 and the week before 56.6. in the start of Mars, I weighed about 61? more or less ... So three months? Relatively long and good, I think?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    missLEAS wrote: »

I'm 175 cm tall, and I weight yesterday 55.8 and the week before 56.6. in the start of Mars, I weighed about 61? more or less ... So three months? Relatively long and good, I think?

So you are 5 ft 9??? 175cm=69inches

and you weigh 123lbs?

bmi of 18.5...almost underweight..I would be careful about maintenance range and only allow for gains and no losses....you are borderline here.

As for maintenance it is possible but I suspect if you do exercise it's higher.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You're almost or are underweight. Your ideal weight is: 56.7kgs-76.3kgs according to a BMI calculator. There is nothing wrong with you eating maintenance right now. Nothing at all. And please eat back any exercise calories. Consider even eating for gain, a little bit, as you don't want to lose any more weight right now.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine adding more food in. Your weight may increase a few pounds right away (due to added water weight and a bit more "waste"). Rather than freak out about it, examine the evidence for weight gain: have I eaten 3,500 calories over what I have burned this week?" Also remember that as your hormones cycle, your weight will too. For what it's worth, I agree with posters above who think that adding a few pounds would be the healthy thing to do :)
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow good job :) you did really good. What I would recommend to keep looking lean and feeling healthy - (if your not already) add in some resistance training and weightlifting to add a little more muscle mass. You'll have to increase your food intake to at least maintenance. Adding more muscle will keep you feeling healthy and strong, it will increase your metabolism and help keep your goal maintained.

Do keep in mind

A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered healthy.

A BMI below 18.5 in considered underweight.