Discouraged - week 1

2»

Replies

• bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    For me a lot of it is portion control. Instead of eating half the pizza, eat one slice with some veggies or other "healthy" food to help fill you up. Eat one cookie instead of six, you still get to enjoy the flavor. I don't prevent myself from eating any food, but I'm trying to learn that I can't eat as much of it as I used to. Also, I tend to eat too fast, so I find that I'm done with what I've allocated for lunch, I might still be hungry after eating it. But, if I wait about 15-20 minutes, the food catches up with my appetite and I realize I'm not hungry anymore.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    If you've been eating clean and tend to have bad days, my suggestion is to just include the foods that you like in your daily calories. Yes, this will mean that you'll still lose weight. The beauty of this method is that you'll have your favourite foods, still stay in your calories and still lose weight without the need to give in to a binge. And that is a WIN WIN to me. I personally do this and have lost 85lbs. Beef up your favourite meals with huge side salads.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Eat what you want BUT WEIGH IT with a food scale. Keep at it. You'll be fine.
  • xoccerlvr
    xoccerlvr Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks everyone. I weigh/measure everything and understand CICO. But I like food and 1500 calories a day sucks.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    It is a slow process, and getting used to lowered intake takes around a month. Try to be patient, do some meditation if it is bothering you mentally or emotionally. I won't lie, this is not easy and your weight will bounce up and down for no apparent reason. You will be looking for an overall downward trend. That's why tracking helps you know what's really going on, seeing the forest rather than the trees.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Turn that frown upside down. Nothing good comes easy! Gotta pay to play. Food isn't going anywhere, it'll always be there for ya. You can live great on 1500 calories. Lots of people around the world would kill to have 1500 calories a day. Count your blessings.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I technically have a 1500 call limit but I do various "cheats" to let me eat more: I take the stairs instead of the lift, walk to work instead of driving, do more structured exercise (running, yoga etc). Doing this extra activity means I am losing while eating around 1800 to 2000 call per day.

Other "cheats" include switching sweet sticky baked goods for sweet sticky fruit (current fave is pineapple). Eating slightly smaller portions of my favourite foods. Switching the cardboard sandwich from the cafeteria for a nice crisp cottage cheese salad with sweet potato (much tastier). I only eat food I love, so I don't waste my calories budget on tasteless calories. And then I can have the occasional sweet sticky cake.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Well it's been one week so...just start over again this week and do better, but what do you mean by cheats? Do you mean you just ate food that you think is less healthy than you think, or did go over your calories? Because if you went over your calories a couple of times, and had a really bad day well there is your problem, if you just ate foods that you deemed as not being as healthy then, I would say keep eating those foods as long as you are under your calorie goal because it seems to be easier for you that way, and mix in some those "real foods" when you can. Your weight is going to fluctuate all of the time because of what you eat, and retaining water, but if you keep an accurate log, and stay under your calorie goal it will all even out.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    The magic is already happening in your head. You logged your food, recognized your excesses, and measured the results of your excesses. You are already learning what to do. Be of good cheer. I had a disaster day last Thursday and piled on 4+ lb of water. It's gone now. It happens that way if you stay on the program for a few days longer than your interval of disaster days.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    That's about what I eat. Can I splurge on burgers and fries every day? No. But if I'm clever and careful I can still fit in lots of tasty stuff with a view on the end game when I get back my current 500 calorie deficit (well, a bit less because I'll need fewer calories to maintain by the time I get to goal) and will indulge more.

And it takes my body a good 2-3 weeks to cotton on to what the heck I'm doing and start showing up on the scale. It can be a little frustrating but it is what it is, I just keep plodding along knowing the results are happening regardless of what that inaccurate little bit of technology is telling me.

I just had a month of holidays and sickness. My weight has bounced down and up and is on the way back down again, it's fine because it's one month out of the rest of my life.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    It's poops =D
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    xoccerlvr wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I weigh/measure everything and understand CICO. But I like food and 1500 calories a day sucks.

I love food, too! So, I cook wonderful, tasty things that are within my calorie goals and savor them. I budget my calories so I can eat out calorie dense foods and I consciously savor it.

Being obese and mindlessly eating anything I wanted whenever I wanted isn't healthy, so I've made a change to lose the weight (and keep it off) -- but still eat foods I love! It takes dedication but you can do it, too.