Help with snacks and beer

Options
efcdcdb
efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
I need some suggestions. I am going to be on vacation in a couple of weeks and we are spending a week at a cabin in a state park. I know that I am going to want some munchy snacks, but obviously I need something where you can get a lot for a few calories. Last year (before MFP), I took a big bag of yummy trail mix and ate it by the handful, but I have now learned that it is 180 or 210 calories for 1/3 cup. :sad: I know pretzels are kind of OK and popcorn too, but I am looking for ideas. Does anyone have a favorite, low calorie popcorn? Or any other suggestions? I have already resigned myself to getting some 55 or 64 calorie beer even though I am not crazy about that either. Beer drinkers - what do you recommend? Oh, by the way, most of the week it will be just me & my husband. He drinks diet coke, and isn't much of a snacker.....:grumble:

Replies

• Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    I am all about the popcprn but it does make you thirsty. Microwave popcorn is pretty low calorie in general. I like Orville Redenbacher movie theater butter--its only 2g fat and 35 cal per cup-- and that is the regular one. The light one is even lower.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Quaker has a new mini rice cake - pomengrante blueberry and they are very yummy! I also love Stacey's whole wheat pita chips with hummus. Re. the light beer - I like Corona light. If you are going to be in the mountains you can do a little extra hiking to work off some of the vacation yummies you indulge in.
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Soy crisps! They are only 110 for 20 of them... if you have hummus on hand, you can spread a thin layer on each so A) it will take longer to eat and B) it will have more flavor. If you like spicy, I recommend Twelve Tribes 40 Spices hummus because it is SOOO yummy but also spicy enough that it satiates your hunger. Also edamame, which is soybeans basically. Get the ones in the pod and bring along sea salt. Again, its an interactive food because you have to suck the beans out of the pod. Super high in protein and really good. I recommend anything interactive, that takes long to eat or takes something special in order to eat it other than grabbing it out of a bag.

As far as beer... I HATE beer LOL become a wine drinker! :drinker: White has only 100 calories per 5 oz glass and it is more alcoholic so you can only drink it so fast. Also I hear the Michelob pomegranite beer is good... Best of luck and have fun!

xoxo
    Maggie
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I like the MDG 64 or even the Bud Select 55 isn't too bad. Those would be my choices - you can't find any lower calorie beer.

As for snacks, you can make up your own individual size snack baggies of dried fruit & nuts. Measure everything out for 100 calorie snacks in each baggie. Also, buy the popcorn kernels and pop it yourself. Use a butter flavor cooking spray and spritz it after it's done popping and then sprinkle with reduced fat parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Shake it in the pan or skillet to coat it all. The 100 calorie snack bags of microwave popcorn is a good choice too. I like the kettle corn flavor, orville redenbacher. I like the Yogi Granola Crips too, discovered them at Walmart not long ago.

That's all the advice I have for now...I may think of some other ideas later. LOL!
    Have fun on your trip!!
    Tina
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming! I am going to make a list and see what I can find.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    weigh out your snacks and put them in a snack size baggie. Works for me. Oh,and MGD64 or Natural Light Beer. Yum!!!2