Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

mood and breakouts - clean eating

I've been following a clean eating regime for about three weeks now and have never felt healthier - until the past two days. My skin has broken out in spots and I feel irritable at times. Very unlike me and it's not PMS. Does anyone have any experience of this with clean eating? My gut feeling is that it's my body's reaction as is beginning to detoxify or something. Could this be it ? As far as I know I'm getting enough of all the right vitamins etc in fact I'm being really careful to eat plenty and eat well. Lots of water too.
So does it sound like detox ? I've gone from feeling great to plateau of weight loss and bad skin and moods.
Thanks x

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    There is no such thing as a detox diet....your kidneys and liver do all the detox you require.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I have no idea what you mean by clean eating, but assuming it's something like eating meals made from whole foods at home (which I mostly do, although I don't consider it a special diet or regime, so wonder if you mean something more specific), I don't see how that could make you break out. You aren't "detoxifying." More likely if you changed your diet you perhaps introduced a new food that doesn't work for you. OR, of course, it could have nothing to do with diet.
  • 5ophie8all
    5ophie8all Posts: 22 Member
    There is no such thing as a detox diet....your kidneys and liver do all the detox you require.
    No it's not a detox diet as such. I'm not doing it to detox. I cut out all processed foods and am eating more balanced meals. Clean eating means just eating foods that are natural and don't contain any additives or suchlike.
  • 5ophie8all
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have no idea what you mean by clean eating, but assuming it's something like eating meals made from whole foods at home (which I mostly do, although I don't consider it a special diet or regime, so wonder if you mean something more specific), I don't see how that could make you break out. You aren't "detoxifying." More likely if you changed your diet you perhaps introduced a new food that doesn't work for you. OR, of course, it could have nothing to do with diet.

Thanks, yes there's no special science to it when I say 'clean eating' I'm just referring to as you rightly say, simply eating whole foods. I've always had this kind of diet anyway just being stricter about eating as natural as possible and avoiding additives etc. I wondered if there might be a 'detox' type of effect from cutting out such things. But you may be right, perhaps something not agreeing with me
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Changes in diet can show up in skin and mood. While it's not likely a "detox", it may be that your body is just adjusting to the new kind of food (especially if you made a change quickly and used to eat lots of processed foods).

It's also possible that you're just having some non-TOM related hormone swings. If these stick around for a while, just check with your doctor to be sure he/she doesn't have any concerns or recommendations. :smile:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't think it's your body detoxifying, because that doesn't just happen spontaneously, you'd have to be in a hospital, and in that case, skin problems like acne won't be your main concern.

Sorry :p

Eat plenty, plateau - you are eating at maintenance (periodically above) and for some people the anabolic phase (weight gain) affects the skin because of the testosterone involved, and then you have breakouts. If this is the reason for you, it means that it's neither caused by anything you eat, nor deficiencies, and there's nothing you can do besides trying to keep a stable weight once you hit goal weight.
  • 5ophie8all
    Changes in diet can show up in skin and mood. While it's not likely a "detox", it may be that your body is just adjusting to the new kind of food (especially if you made a change quickly and used to eat lots of processed foods).

It's also possible that you're just having some non-TOM related hormone swings. If these stick around for a while, just check with your doctor to be sure he/she doesn't have any concerns or recommendations. :smile:

Thank you for this. Really helpful
  • 5ophie8all
    I don't think it's your body detoxifying, because that doesn't just happen spontaneously, you'd have to be in a hospital, and in that case, skin problems like acne won't be your main concern.

Sorry :p

Eat plenty, plateau - you are eating at maintenance (periodically above) and for some people the anabolic phase (weight gain) affects the skin because of the testosterone involved, and then you have breakouts. If this is the reason for you, it means that it's neither caused by anything you eat, nor deficiencies, and there's nothing you can do besides trying to keep a stable weight once you hit goal weight.

Thanks for your comments, will take that on board
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Clean eating is great but you can eat clean and still have an unbalanced diet or eat a diet that doesn't agree with you. You could have a mild intolerance to a food, the change in diet could be affecting your hormones, you could have a slight deficiency in a nutrient, or be getting too much of a nutrient. It could be many things, including unrelated to diet.
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    If it continues for a few weeks, try reducing dairy. For me, whey protein powder or too much cheese or greek yogurt makes me break out. Many others are fine w/ it, so YMMV
  • 5ophie8all
    elgie3 wrote: »
    If it continues for a few weeks, try reducing dairy. For me, whey protein powder or too much cheese or greek yogurt makes me break out. Many others are fine w/ it, so YMMV
    Thank you. I did eat a little more Greek yoghurt than usual this week
  • mindykeys
    mindykeys Posts: 2 Member
    Take brewer's yeast pills (not the powder-it's disgusting). They will help with the acne but not sure about the moodiness.