Game Meat

Options
krista681
krista681 Posts: 26 Member
Does anyone happen to know some nutritional values for bear meat? And elk? I can't find it listed. I may just be blind though.

Replies

• krista681
    Options
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    How does bear taste?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, the USDA website! :)
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    How does bear taste?

All bear meat is full of parasites cook well

-the wolves
  • krista681
    Options
    How does bear taste?

Bear jerky is fantastic. Ground bear patties are a little gamey, but if you soak them in milk overnight before grilling they are better. Moose is my favorite though. Better than beef!!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    krista681 wrote: »
    How does bear taste?

Bear jerky is fantastic. Ground bear patties are a little gamey, but if you soak them in milk overnight before grilling they are better. Moose is my favorite though. Better than beef!!
    Interesting. I've had deer before and loved it. I don't know any hunters and the activity is too expensive for me the get into at the moment. :disappointed:

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We had fantastic bear burgers a few months ago.
  • krista681
    Options
    How does bear taste?

All bear meat is full of parasites cook well

-the wolves

Pork used to contain the same parasites till feeding got regulated. No big deal, just fully cook the meat as with any other kind of meat.
  • rmfindleyjr
    rmfindleyjr Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    How does bear taste?

A bear's diet has a lot to do with how it taste...A bear that has been feeding on berries taste very good...a lot better than a bear hitting the salmon stream.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    How does bear taste?

Interesting. I've had deer before and loved it. I don't know any hunters and the activity is too expensive for me the get into at the moment. :disappointed:

Check with your local deer processors. Many will sell meat that is not picked up timely. You'd be surprised how many people kill a deer, take it to a processor, and then don't come back for it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    How does bear taste?

Moose is Awesome! Unfortunately I've never been able to find it outside of the hunter who killed it.
  • rmfindleyjr
    rmfindleyjr Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    How does bear taste?

Moose is Awesome! Unfortunately I've never been able to find it outside of the hunter who killed it.

This!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    How does bear taste?

Check with your local deer processors. Many will sell meat that is not picked up timely. You'd be surprised how many people kill a deer, take it to a processor, and then don't come back for it.

Check your local laws, not directed at you specifically. Completely illegal in my state, Washington. If a hunter doesn't come back they can't legally sell it.