RMR of 1200 and thyroid test

Options
I had my RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested recently, and it is quite a bit lower than the estimates for my age, height, sex and weight. I have been losing weight for over a year, though in the last two or three months it has slowed down to maybe a pound a month.
I also had my thyroid tested, and it is hovering around 4.2 and has dropped a tiny bit (.01) in the last year. I'm wondering if my thyroid, even though it is not out of the commonly accepted 'normal' range, is affecting my metabolism. I can still lose weight, but my margin of eating error is so narrow that I'm not certain I can maintain the required deficit for very long.
Is anyone else facing a similar problem? I do strength training and I'm hoping that will eventually help increase my rmr, but is there anything else I can do? My doctor doesn't think anything is wrong, but I think there is room for some kind of improvement.
Thanks!

Replies

• trixiex
    trixiex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was put on thyroxine a year or so ago and now have normal levels. I was pretty excited as I thought it was why I struggle to lose weight and expected the weight to drop off, but it didn't.

Reading up, it's a bit more complex than I thought. These articles explain the issue really well.

http://www.thyroid.org/thyroid-and-weight/

Sorry, it's probably not what you want to hear.

But. If you are symptomatic: cold all the time, tired and can't concentrate; then definitely start pestering your doctor.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That is actually very informative, and it is good to learn more about the thyroid/weight relationship. Thanks!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    @trixiex that was interesting, thanks! For what it's worth I was put on thyroid medication with a TSH of 4.90, but started losing weight at an expected rate 2 months prior to starting the pills. I've lost 44 lbs with no plateaus and I'm now starting maintaince. You can lose weight if you are good with logging, use a food scale, and try to get as much activity as you can.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Check out stop the thyroid madness website. I was put on meds when my tsh was around 4 something. I have a new doc who treats based on symptoms and free t3 and t4 labs (which are typically a much better judge of thyroid function than tsh). I've heard a lot of hypothyroid people need their free t3 in the upper third of the normal range, and tsh sometimes so low it's below range, to have total symptom relief.

My maintenance calorie level used to be around 1200-1400, and it's gotten a bit better with medication changes.