Week 3 as a runner...

Options
All--

First off, thanks for all of the tips I've received so far. I'm up to 2 miles with a pace of just over 14 min a mile--super slow (already increased my pace by 1 min/mile). I'm pretty proud that I can run the first mile without walking and less than a block of walking during the last mile. I'm also running 4-5 times/week, but like the title says--this is only week 3.

My question--at what point do I start pushing myself to increase my pace and my distance. Is it better to work on pace or distance first or just focus on running and let it come naturally....I'm happy with how things are going and proud of myself, but I do want to keep progressing. I just want to avoid pushing myself when I should be!

Replies

• Paul_Carcone
    Paul_Carcone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First....good for you.

Second...your body will tell you. You'll find yourself just generally wanting to go further and faster and you can push against that envelope as hard as you want. Like all of us, you'll have good days and bad days.

One great piece of advice I had about running is that, regardless of how experienced you are, the first few minutes are nearly always hard work. It takes a few minutes for the muscles to warm up to their optimal operating temperature and the respiratory system also takes a short while to catch up with the initial oxygen deficit. However, stick with it...and within a few minutes you'll find that the discomfort has cleared and you're running along quite happily (some of my quickest and strongest runs have started horribly and I've only narrowly avoided turning around, sulking, and flinging my trainers back in the cupboard!).

I find that a heart monitor helps me work out whether I'm genuinely 'pushing it' or whether my body just isn't 'feeling it'. Again, I find that when I feel awful, but my heart rate is still around 120-130, I just need to work through and I'll soon find myself at 140-150, running faster, and feeling much better!

By the way...this book is really worth a read! It puts much of the above much more eloquently.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Talk-About-When-Running/dp/0099526158

...it's by Murakami, so it's beautifully written...but it really just explores the joys of running and provides the sort of motivation required for someone who just enjoys running for a bit of keep-fit rather than considering themself to be some sort of über athlete!

Good luck...and feel free to add me as a friend/accountability partner and I'll encourage you along (as long as you shout at me when I don't manage my diet appropriately).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Distance only. Don't worry about pace (other than keeping it slow). Running too fast too soon will lead to injury. Plus, if you want to get faster, the best way is to run further (at least during your first year of running).

Increase distance slowly. No more than 10% per week. Pick one run per week and add 10%. Keep the others short. Gradually you can increase the shorter ones as well. And, as was already stated, listen to your body. Don't be afraid to take a few days off.

Good luck.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just focus on running regularly and increasing your weekly distance slowly. As a beginner, you'll get faster pretty quickly just by running consistently and slowly increasing your distance.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Distance only. Don't worry about pace (other than keeping it slow). Running too fast too soon will lead to injury. Plus, if you want to get faster, the best way is to run further (at least during your first year of running).

Increase distance slowly. No more than 10% per week. Pick one run per week and add 10%. Keep the others short. Gradually you can increase the shorter ones as well. And, as was already stated, listen to your body. Don't be afraid to take a few days off.

Good luck.

I agree with this advice. I started running two years ago and I wish I'd understood this sooner. Maybe I could have avoided some injuries. I would also learn as much as you can about good running form. My local running shop has great clinics and run training for local races. I've learned a lot by doing a few of those and met lots of great people as well.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Good luck.

This is good advice. Also, running 4-5 days/wk is more than most people would do when just starting out. I am not saying it's bad, just be careful not to try and do too much. Do not expect every run to be faster or farther than the next. Even veteran runners sandwich their hard runs with slow, easy days. Recovery is necessary to avoid injury.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Great advice posted above. The comment below really resonates for me:

"One great piece of advice I had about running is that, regardless of how experienced you are, the first few minutes are nearly always hard work. It takes a few minutes for the muscles to warm up to their optimal operating temperature and the respiratory system also takes a short while to catch up with the initial oxygen deficit. However, stick with it...and within a few minutes you'll find that the discomfort has cleared and you're running along quite happily (some of my quickest and strongest runs have started horribly and I've only narrowly avoided turning around, sulking, and flinging my trainers back in the cupboard!)."

I can tell you that this happens to me almost every time. During the first 12-15 minutes my mind is saying "Today is not your day! you're sore, you're tired, you need a recovery day, etc.," Then after a while, I realize that my negative self talk does not match how my body is actually feeling now that I am warmed up. From that point on, its go time!

Good luck.
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Great advice posted above. The comment below really resonates for me:

"One great piece of advice I had about running is that, regardless of how experienced you are, the first few minutes are nearly always hard work. It takes a few minutes for the muscles to warm up to their optimal operating temperature and the respiratory system also takes a short while to catch up with the initial oxygen deficit. However, stick with it...and within a few minutes you'll find that the discomfort has cleared and you're running along quite happily (some of my quickest and strongest runs have started horribly and I've only narrowly avoided turning around, sulking, and flinging my trainers back in the cupboard!)."

I can tell you that this happens to me almost every time. During the first 12-15 minutes my mind is saying "Today is not your day! you're sore, you're tired, you need a recovery day, etc.," Then after a while, I realize that my negative self talk does not match how my body is actually feeling now that I am warmed up. From that point on, its go time!

Good luck.

I had this happen to me last night and recognized it after reading these posts....my 2nd mile was even faster than my first and "easier".
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Good luck.

This is good advice. Also, running 4-5 days/wk is more than most people would do when just starting out. I am not saying it's bad, just be careful not to try and do too much. Do not expect every run to be faster or farther than the next. Even veteran runners sandwich their hard runs with slow, easy days. Recovery is necessary to avoid injury.

Thanks for the advice! I've been really trying to pay attention to my body and some days as I get going I realize my body needs less, so I just walk. The last thing I want is injury or to overdo it...