So who posted about almond butter?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So what's the calorie count for a tbsp? Can u sub for peanut butter? And add jelly?

I love almond butter and jelly. Never been a huge fan of peanut butter (except in chocolate).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I love almond butter. In combination with (the right varieties of) pear, it tastes like marzipan.

Also delightful with maple syrup in Greek yogurt.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this thread at all. Almond butter tastes like sadness and existential dread compared to peanut butter...

My husband has a terrible peanut allergy and so I've tried pretty well all non-peanut substitutes, and nothing except that soy-based Wowbutter even comes close IMO. Especially because where I live the almond stuff is like $14/jar, twice as much as most of the other options.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @peleroja - LOL!! you could ask @fishshark to be your friend and the two of you could start an "anti-almond butter discussion". I myself love the stuff. I like almost all nut butters better than peanut butter...sorry...except for soy butter which tastes like sadness and existential dread...
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    ...but have you tried hazelnut almond butter?
    I could eat the jar.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    yuck... i don't know why but i have NEVER liked almond butter. peanut butter on the other hand...
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    yuck... i don't know why but i have NEVER liked almond butter. peanut butter on the other hand...

I am loving this! Not only are we forming an almond butter club, we are serving as a meeting place for haters of almond butter. This is great. :p

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    What have I started?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

I am loving this! Not only are we forming an almond butter club, we are serving as a meeting place for haters of almond butter. This is great. :p

glad im not alone haha. One time i bought it and with bite i was like NOOOOOOOOO THIS IS NOT PEANUT BUTTER. not ok.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    it is too close to peanut butter to not be peanut butter. it's like when you take a drink of what you think is a coke but it turns out to be pepsi.
  • peleroja
    edited June 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

glad im not alone haha. One time i bought it and with bite i was like NOOOOOOOOO THIS IS NOT PEANUT BUTTER. not ok.

The odd thing about it is that I think almond butter is garbage, but prefer to eat whole almonds over peanuts if given the choice. I loooooove those tamari almonds from Costco and can absolutely destroy a bag of those, but I don't remember even before marrying a man with a peanut allergy ever just sitting down with a bag of peanuts. Weird, right?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

The odd thing about it is that I think almond butter is garbage, but prefer to eat whole almonds over peanuts if given the choice. I loooooove those tamari almonds from Costco and can absolutely destroy a bag of those, but I don't remember even before marrying a man with a peanut allergy ever just sitting down with a bag of peanuts. Weird, right?

i agree.. while i love salted shelled peanuts.. id rather munch on almonds. especially candied cinnamon ones.
  • peleroja
    Options

i agree.. while i love salted shelled peanuts.. id rather munch on almonds. especially candied cinnamon ones.

Where's the drooling emoji when I need it?
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    I wonder how almond butter made from tamari almonds or candied cinnamon almonds would taste... >:)
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Marantha used to make a macadamia butter that was incredible and carb friendly.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ugh don't ever buy Marantha Coconut Almond Butter unless you plan on finishing like the whole thing in a day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Almond butter, cashew butter, walnut butter, macadamia nut butter, hazlenut butter, Brazil nut butter...drool, drool. :p

Pistachio butter. And smoked almond butter. I found them at a farmer's market at the beach a couple of years ago, and I keep going back every time I go to the beach, but they never seem to have those particular flavors. I can make pistachio butter myself in the food processor, but I haven't found anything that quite replicates the smoked almond butter. The smoked almonds I find in the grocery don't taste the same.

Hmm, just had an idea. Bacon fat added to the almonds in the food processor....
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Pistachio butter! have never had it...must have. smoked almond butter also sounds so yummy and yes I think hickory smoked bacon fat could be the answer LOL!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this thread at all. Almond butter tastes like sadness and existential dread compared to peanut butter...

My husband has a terrible peanut allergy and so I've tried pretty well all non-peanut substitutes, and nothing except that soy-based Wowbutter even comes close IMO. Especially because where I live the almond stuff is like $14/jar, twice as much as most of the other options.

You must be trying the wrong brand. Try justins maple/honey/vanilla almond butter, jif creamy almond butter, or barney butter.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Almond butter, cashew butter, walnut butter, macadamia nut butter, hazlenut butter, Brazil nut butter...drool, drool. :p

Pistachio butter. And smoked almond butter. I found them at a farmer's market at the beach a couple of years ago, and I keep going back every time I go to the beach, but they never seem to have those particular flavors. I can make pistachio butter myself in the food processor, but I haven't found anything that quite replicates the smoked almond butter. The smoked almonds I find in the grocery don't taste the same.

Hmm, just had an idea. Bacon fat added to the almonds in the food processor....

I've had pistachio butter and it is to DIE for. I used to live near a small store that sold it cheaply.