Breakfasts that can last me from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM?

Options

Replies

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    What lasts me a long time is: 1/4 Cup cut up onions, sauteed, 6 Cup fresh spinach sauteed, add in some egg whites, cook, then eat. On the side, 1 serving of oatmeal. All that lasts a real long time.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good for you for volunteering!
    I'd say something like a 2 egg omelette with extra egg whites and a lot of veggies/meat + a cup of berries (High fiber + protein + some fat)

Or, eat a big dinner-type meal first thing and eat light later. Have whole wheat pasta with protein and veggies. Stir-fry. Then keep taking snacks to eat on the fly.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're kidding right? No meal will last that long. Your body digests a meal in 4 hours. Bring a snack or make sure they give you a break.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Can you drink during your shifts? You could try making smoothies, or even just keeping a packet of protein powder and a shaker bottle on hand.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're volunteering! However, I would find somewhere else to volunteer. Some places take advantage of the volunteers and the lack of rules governing voluntary work. I've volunteered at various animal shelters and Salvation Army and we were always given a lunch break. There was one place that tried not to give a lunch break. We complained and they relented. I never went back there again. I would check your state's laws too.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I understand if it's a shelter that they would rather not have employees/volunteers eating their own food that may be "better" than what they can provide those who live there.

However, I do question the fact that you can't get even 10 minutes to take a break and eat something in a private area. Have you specifically asked them? We are pretty accommodating at my job, particularly with interns and other unpaid volunteer workers.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Guys, it sounds like the expectation is that the volunteers can take time to eat the food that they're preparing for the shelter guests. They probably have this rule/expectation so that the guests don't feel like they're being poisoned or being fed crappy food! It's unfortunate that the charity she's at is so food-based and the food doesn't fit into her calorie counting or stomach sensitivities, but this is a legitimate question and a legitimate rule for a place like that.

Oh and as others have said, you need lots of snacks or a smoothie, since meals never last that long.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would volunteer somewhere else. *shrug*
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like you're in a tricky situation... for breakfast I would eat something large - I am already a huge breakfast eater, and even then I'm hungry by 1pm though.

My personal go-to is an egg white omelet with ground turkey and veggies thrown in, vanilla greek yogurt with fiber one cereal mixed in and a muli-grain english muffin with laughing cow cheese or some other cheese melted on it, along with coffee and water. (Yes I have all of that every single morning). It's a pretty great blend of protein, and fiber while still being under 400 calories, and keeps me full for a while. Sometimes I'll add sliced avocado on top of the omelette for some fat, if I know it's going to be a while til I will have time to eat again...

That being said, I would still not last until dinner without something - can you slip a protein bar or a wrap with turkey and cheese in your purse and eat it on a bathroom break? It sounds like you're doing such a wonderful thing, so good luck! I hope you find a solution that fits your philanthropy goals and your nutrition goals!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I would eat a breakfast with protein and fiber and then put a higher protein meal bar and a banana in my purse to eat during the day. I eat on the job even if not given a break because I would feel sick if I didn't.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i have served in a few shelter that have this rule as well. They want to make a point that the food they are serving is good enough for anyone. A lot of places dont even have a seperate area to go hide in. As gross as it sounds ive woofed down sandwhiches on the toilet a few times haha. Personally oats leave me starving idk why. I need a fatty protien breakfast... beans eggs avocado or something like that. and for everyone else its been said 10 billion times shes volunteering there are no laws for lunch breaks. Its not glamorous which is why not everyone does it.

edit- even though its a lie and i felt terrible i have said before that i had hypoglycemia and need 2 15 min breaks during the day to eat. wasnt an issue.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it. No matter what you eat for breakfast (within reason) you'll be hungry around your regular lunch time. Your body is on a schedule- it just takes a bit to change it. Anyone who has done intermittent fasting will understand. A more extreme example is that people who fast for an extended period of time almost always report no signs of hunger after the third day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I would say I have special allergies so I have to bring my own food or sneak in protein bars and sneak bits into my mouth haha.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If it is an internship (different than volunteering), then you might be required to have a lunch break depending on your state. I know our interns, both unpaid and paid, are legally required to have a 30 minute lunch break in our state (I am in HR). So you might want to verify that isn't the case for you. And either way -- they probably won't mind if you bring your own food. We would rather someone bring food than go hungry and suffer from the side effects of it.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Today had a wrap (60 cal) with 1 egg over easy and 3 slices Canadian Bacon. Full for awhile.

That would keep me full for approximately 10 minutes.

OP, it doesn't make sense that the shelter won't let volunteers eat their own food. You'd think that would be more food for the people it's meant for. And what if you had diet restrictions? There's no logical reason that you shouldn't be able to eat food from home while others are eating the food at the shelter. That's simply ridiculous. I'd be finding a new place to volunteer, because a breakfast that will keep you full for 10 hours and fits into a 1500-calorie meal plan simply does not exist. I guess I'd stick with something high in protein and fat. And bring the peanut butter toast whether they like it or not.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If the food is really that terrible I feel mostly sorry for the people that require to use the shelter :(
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    Your body will get used to it. No matter what you eat for breakfast (within reason) you'll be hungry around your regular lunch time. Your body is on a schedule- it just takes a bit to change it. Anyone who has done intermittent fasting will understand. A more extreme example is that people who fast for an extended period of time almost always report no signs of hunger after the third day.

^^^ That.

Accept you may get hungry and ride it out. Being hungry isn't the worst fate in the world.

That said, if it were me I would have a steak, a couple of eggs and a large serving of tenderstem broccoli, asparagus or something similar.

I think it is awesome you are volunteering and not only that but you are also willing to accommodate some hardship for a greater good. Really well done.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Why cant you take food with you while you are working? Can you not eat your own food when the others are eating lunch. Why are you volunteering somewhere that sounds like a prison and you can't eat for 10 hours?

I can eat the food. I'm the one choosing not to eat it. They're a shelter, they don't have the facilities to cater to everyone, and since we're volunteering there aren't any official breaks. If there's a lull I get my purse from the closet and cram a pb sandwich. And no, I can't eat my own food. It's sort of a requirement of the shelter that you eat what's being served. So I sneak my food.

As others have pointed out, if this was a "real" paid job, the lack of breaks and the requirement to eat their food would be illegal. There is a reason these things are illegal for paid labor--they are unreasonable. You are not asking to be "catered" to, you are asking to bring your own food and have a few minutes to eat it. The fact that you aren't being paid does not change the principle. Talk to a manager, if they won't budge, find another unpaid internship. (And don't even get me started on unpaid internships as massive B.S..)
  • anncramer
    anncramer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I grind about 1/4 cup raw oatmeal. I add a banana and milk and blend. Some people don't like the texture of the oameal, but it doesn't bother me. You can increase the amount of oatmeal, add protein powder, etc. I've also added vanilla flavoring.
  • puddles1450
    puddles1450 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Put some almonds in a baggie in your purse. A hand full of almonds always helps me get thru the day. You can even put a few in your pocket and snack along the day.