Any tips for a fussy eater?

Options
I don't follow the usual routine of breakfast, lunch and dinner, I usually have a meal a day (sometimes two, hardly ever three) but I tend to snack a lot. I am currently 16 stone with a calorie limit of 1,800 (which I'm not reaching ever and going to lower to 1,500).
I am trying new foods, but I am quite a fussy eater so thinking of meals or even snacks, as well as putting my self into a healthy routine, I'm finding myself a little stuck and wondering if anyone has any advise, whether it's general support or food tips? :)

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like to eat. If you want to make changes to what you eat, it's better to make them gradually instead of drastically. The important thing for weight loss is being at a calorie deficit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    eat the foods you enjoy in portions that fit your overall calorie goal. are there foods you WANT to eat, but they've never tasted good to you so you're looking for advice on how to make them taste better?
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    As they say, the best diet is the one you'll stick to.

Those people who eat steamed broccoli, brown rice and baked chicken every night for dinner? I could never do that. I'm not even going to try.

I make room in my calories for my snacks. I did swap out to healthier options, like triple zero Greek yogurt instead of low cal regular yogurt (the protein helps with feeling full!) And big crunchy rice cakes covered in cheese powder instead of chips (at 45 calories a piece, they help with my crunchy urges).

I might eat a banana for breakfast, or a cheese stick, but I hate eating when I wake up. My 'lunch' is fast food three days out of the week. And it still fits my calories.

As long as you get your vitamins, hit your calorie counts, and don't completely screw your macros, eat what you like.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options
    Yeah, track what you eat to find out how much over you are, then just reduce the amount until you have a deficit. You don't need to change WHAT you eat unless you want to.

If you find yourself hungry on the reduced amount then you might want to tweak the proportions to increase the protein and veg to make you feel fuller, but otherwise it's really that simple.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I take it you want to lose weight. To lose weight, you need a sustained calorie deficit. Meal schedule and what you eat is not directly important for weight loss, but it may help you feel satisfied and thus make it easier to stick to an appropriate amount of calories. A healthy diet is good for your health. A healthy diet is one that provides enough of everything you need, not too much of anything, and nothing that makes you sick. So you have a lot of personal choice there.

Decide if you want to extend your repertoire or not. If you want to, find out what holds you back and what can make it easier. It can be to try a new food every week - google recipes. It can be trying it alone for the first time, or with friends, at home or on holiday. You can mix it with food you already eat, or eat it separately. You can eat it raw, baked, whole, pureed - depending on the nature of the food, obviously :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble with different vegetables or fruit, I recommend just trying out all the varieties of them and seeing if you'll like some of them. There's so much different fresh produce out there that you're bound to find something that suits your palate. Every vegetable has a different taste and texture, and they change a lot depending how you cook them or if you eat them raw. I don't like cooked carrots at all, but fresh carrots are one of my favorite things to eat!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the same foods you have been eating. Eat smaller amounts or less often.