Options
2»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    Scary stuff.... "CONTRAVE can cause serious side effects of suicidal thoughts or actions. One of the ingredients in CONTRAVE is bupropion HCl. Bupropion has caused some people to have suicidal thoughts or actions or unusual changes in behavior, whether or not they are taking medicines used to treat depression. Bupropion may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults within the first few months of treatment. If you already have depression or other mental illnesses, taking bupropion may cause it to get worse, especially within the first few months of treatment."

Bupropion is a drug that is regularly prescribed for depression. I have been taking it on/off as needed for 7 years... it isn't that scary to me and I had absolutely no with-drawls. It kicks your appetite, gives you energy by sending more dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine to transmit messages to other nerves.

Every prescription drug I have ever seen in the business of healthcare has 'scary' side effects but I'm not going to stop taking my necessary-for-life thyroid pills because a side effect is afib/heart palpations/chest tightness/cardiac arrest. lol

No one should stop taking "necessary for life drugs" due to scary side effects - but taking it for weight loss change the risk factor for me.....
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No one should stop taking "necessary for life drugs" due to scary side effects - but taking it for weight loss change the risk factor for me.....

Thyroid medication definitely helps with weight loss. People abuse that, too.

Nearly every medication has scary side effects. When someone is morbidly obese I would imagine they would prefer the risk (not guarantee) of side effects vs the pain/debility/health risk of being morbidly obese.

Bupropion is a psychiatric medication that is widely used by hundreds of thousands of people for a variety of different issues. I take it on and off but never have thought about suicide on it.. if anything it's one of the very few reasons I didn't go through with my second suicide attempt.

Doctor who prescribe weight loss medications to those who only have a bit to lose or are not at high risk for weight related medical issues are quacks.

Every single mind altering drug that changes the balance or flow of neurotransmitters has a side effect of possible suicidal ideations.
  • kaileekason
    kaileekason Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I took it and it made me EXTREMELY sleepy, to the point of being in tears not realizing what the problem was. I thought I was just exhausted, but after looking at the fine print, extreme sleepiness was a side effect. I quit taking it and the sleepiness went away. I didn't really notice any weight loss.
  • Sdharrison69
    Sdharrison69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on Contrave for almost 10 weeks now. I was hesitant in the beginning as well due to the side effects, not the suicidal part but the seizure part of it. Needless to say I have had hardly any bad side effects. I am a happier person, and have lost 24 pounds. Contrave is only a tool to help you lose weight along with a better diet and exercise. My problem lately is I hardly eat enough,,lol..I thought that could never be a problem for me. Some days I eat only about 600 calories, not good for my body at all. So I try and stay between 900 and 1200 calories a day.I would recommend anyone who seriously wants to lose the weight to try it. I pay $90 a month as my insurance wouldn't pay for it at all. It has been worth every penny!!! And the Scale down program that comes with it is AWESOME!!!