Chia seeds

Options
Tell me about them, since I see so many of you post about them. ;)

What do they taste like, what's the texture, nutritional benefits?

Thanks, you guys rock!

Replies

• indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't really think they taste of much!

Texture kind of depends - if you sprinkle them on something then they're pretty tiny little insignificant seeds, but if you leave them in some liquid they'll go into kind of a pudding like texture and it can help thicken up stuff - it's really good for that :smile:

Nutrition wise they're good for fibre, protein, healthy fatty acids etc and they've got a good antioxidant content :smile:
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Full of omega 3's. Good fats.
    I dip banana in a bowl of chia as a snack.
    I like flaxmeal more. I can add that to my protein shake and more foods.
    Flaxmeal seems cheaper also.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    As stupid as this sounds, I'm interested in Chia because I've seen them in yogurt and it makes it look pretty LOL. Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'm gonna look into to getting some of these. :)
  • DeLainaLSims
    DeLainaLSims Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My breakfast drink already had chia seeds in it: Mamma Chia Organic Blackberry Hibiscus. You use to only be able to get these as health food stores, but now WalMart sells them. They offer a variety of flavors. The seeds kind of taste like a gummy bear around the seed.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a pet peeve of mine. I stick to the flax. Just the flax, ma'am.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    They are completely different soaked; the only way I'll have them. Try soaking a tablespoon of chia in a cup of yogurt overnight. You get something like tapioca.

They are high in calories so I eat in small amounts like peanut butter and nuts.

Very high in soluble fiber.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to work on my fiber intake
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal,yogurt,protein shakes,etc. good source of fiber too.made chia pudding before and loved it.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    The texture is wierd... kind of like little squishy bubbles of goo. Not much flavour of their own, but nice in pudding. Especially pistachio chia pudding, yum!
    I also add them to baked items (muffins etc) and smoothies and they pretty much disappear into those things, you won't even know they are there.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    They remind me of tomato seeds. I add them to my daughters smoothies and use them as a thickener for gravy.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I put them in pancakes and crepes for a little crunch and smoothies where they basically disappear. I don't prefer them soaked so usually bake them into things