Budget of money for foods

Options
I want more healthy foods, BUT... I have very short budget. So my questions is How eat more healthy way? And where best place to go? And What kind foods to get? Thank You in advance! :)

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of rice and beans, oatmeal, and simple, cheaper fruits and veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions, apples and bananas. I mostly shop at regular supermarkets, but I like to go to the farmers markets when I can, too.

I also use a lot of frozen veggies and berries. They are usually much less expensive than fresh, and just as nutritious.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Go to Trader Joe's!!!!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You can often find deals at farmer's markets and little international markets. Dried peas, lentils, and legumes are very budget friendly and packed with fiber, protein, and nutrients. Frozen vegetables and fruits. Eggs are very cheap protein. Buy meat on sale and batch cook, freezing what you can't use right away.

And don't forget that you can also make very nutritious soup stock from chicken bones and beef bones -- then add some veggies, some barley, rice or pasta and voila, you have soup! That is a great way to make a whole chicken (or bone-in breasts and bone-in thighs) really stretch into several nutritious meals.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi? I like their pantry foodstuffs (granola bars, cereal, etc), cheeses, and produce. You can often get very good deals on fresh fruit and veg there. Just remember to bring your own bags!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Use the money are currently using on food, drink, snacks, treats, eating out, on basics like rice, beans, eggs, oatmeal, pasta, frozen vegetables and berries, tuna, chicken, pork, apples, oranges, bananas, milk, butter, oil, peanut butter, onions, carrots, canned tomatoes. Slowly build a selection of pantry and freezer foods, and get variety from week to week when you fill up your fridge. And cook. Ordinary recipes go a long way - google or borrow cookbooks. DON'T be fooled to buy "organic", "health food", "diet food", "low fat", "gluten free" or name brand. DO look at the price per pound. DO consider if prewashed, precut etc is worth the markup. DON'T overdo protein intake (but DO get enough); protein food is generally the most expensive. DON'T waste food - plan your meals, choose food you like, buy accordingly, cook an appropriate amount, eat it up, don't throw out good food just because it's expired (use your senses). Drink water, and make your own coffee/tea.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Stay away from highly processed foods in boxes or fast foods and you'll be ok.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I want more healthy foods, BUT... I have very short budget. So my questions is How eat more healthy way? And where best place to go? And What kind foods to get? Thank You in advance! :)

Eat enough protein. Eat several servings of vegetables and fruits a day. Try whole grains.
    Plan meals. If your budget is tight this is extremely important. Make a grocery list and stick to it.
    Use what you buy. Reduce waste. Use the more perishable fruits and vegetables first. http://www.stilltasty.com can help you figure out the shelf life of foods and how to store them.
    Try a farmer's market. Grow some vegetables yourself.
    Oatmeal, rice, pasta, beans, lentils, whole chicken, chicken thighs, fresh fruit and vegetables in season, frozen fruits and vegetables, canned fruits and vegetables, tuna, eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, popcorn, bread, peanut butter can fit in a low budget.
    Buy whole items and cook, peel, cut, skin, bone, shred them yourself.
    Soup is a good dollar stretcher and often freezes and reheats well.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com has tasty cost concious recipes.