Yoga? I have questions?

Options
2»

Replies

• WildHeartLaura
    Options
    I agree with PaveGurl- The super-fit, skinny yoga people who's pictures are plastered all over the place are models, or people who think they look hot in bikinis doing fancy yoga poses- and they may be right, but it doesn't do anything for someone like you who's a bit intimated to walk into a class! I've been a full time yoga teacher for close to 10 years, and hovered around a size 14/16 for most of that time, though I'm down now thanks to MFP :). You may find that demographic in some yoga studios, but that's not the norm... And if you're in a decent sized market, keep trying different studios until you find one that feels welcoming and authentic.

Find a well-trained teacher (ask what kind of training they have, it should be AT LEAST a 200 hour certification) and take their most basic, intro level class. A yoga studio will probably have the best teachers, but depending on the area, some local gyms might have great teachers too. The Y around here pays yoga teachers decently, so there are some good teachers there (including me!) I think the Y is nice too, because it's less intimidating than the "we're so enlightened and healthy and stylish" vibe you might get at some studios.

If you just can't stand to go to a class (I know it can be intimidating!), I recommend yogaglo.com, it's about $18/month with a free 2 week trial. I use it almost every single day! Pick the hatha style, level one classes, and do the short tutorials on specific poses you don't understand.

If money is no object, private lessons are the best of both worlds- Great, one on one instruction with feedback, and no one to worry about but yourself. :)
  • WildHeartLaura
    Options
    PS- If you have any serious injuries, I really wouldn't do it without the live supervision of a qualified instructor.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I would pay for the first 4 -6 classes with a certified member/ teacher, preferably IAYT, before doing any home videos.
    Might be imbalances that need to be corrected first. Good luck and enjoy!
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite yoga DVDs

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Every-Body-J-J-Gorrmley/dp/B00006RCNF

it has beginner, intermediate, and advanced

Also try Tara Styles on youtube shes great!