c25k?

This morning I had a couch to 5k workout week 5 day 3 workout was walk 5 minute warmup run 20 minutes and then cool down. I transfered it to runkeeper as walk 5 minute warmup run 2 miles then 5 minute cooldown because I felt that my pace wasn't below 10 minutes a mile. It was cold today and my phone was under my jacket sleeve and I stopped when it said I was at the 2 mile mark and did my cool down. When I looked at my phone I realized that I had ran around 17:45.

Should I force myself to re run this day?
Is the time more important than the distance?

Replies

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    It's the time that's the most important - most people won't be at the point of being able to run 2 miles in 20 minutes by week 2 of C25K (I certainly wasn't). I don't think the difference between running for 20:00 and an actual 17:45 is that significant though - so I'd be inclined to just move onto the next scheduled session.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    ok got a chance to look at my split time in rk turns out I was a minute and a half slower but maintained an avg pace of 9:21
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    A pace of 9:21 for a new runner is fantastic, and I wouldn't beat myself up over less than 20 minutes.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    If you can do 9:21 for 2 miles then I suspect you'd be quite comfortably capable of doing 5K non-stop already by just slowing down a little. You're probably on track to being able to do a sub-30 minute 5K by the end of C25K which is good going. Certainly a lot faster than I was at the end of C25K!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Thank you. I've been a runner in the past but not for several years and many pounds ago. the first couple weeks of couch to 5k were very humbling for sure.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    ok got a chance to look at my split time in rk turns out I was a minute and a half slower but maintained an avg pace of 9:21

What's the rush? I mean if this was easy then that's fine but if you're not able to run a full 30 minutes without a break then ease up on the pace a bit. No shame in running at an easy pace. I think mine was a 10:13 average this morning. I could do it faster sure, but this wasn't a race. Just a nice and easy run.

As for the original question, I wouldn't sweat it. Move on to the next day/week. You're fine.
  • craftyeileenm
    craftyeileenm Posts: 14 Member
    Wow, that's a brilliant time! I'm on W3, R3.