Does anyone else's progress chart look like an erratic heartbeat?

Options
At my heaviest I was almost 190 lbs (at 5'5") at my leanest I was under 130 lbs (to skinny for me). I would like to maintain 135-140 but don't seem to be able to. I feel like my weight has either been going up or down for almost 10 years. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, and my weight graph looks like an EEG during an epileptic seizure. But it's within a range of 6-7 pounds. To maintain your weight, you need to eat roughly the same amount of calories, consistently. I can't give you any advice until you say something about what makes that difficult for you.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a bit like temperatures on the Atlantic, mild slow changes with very few blips either up or down.

Lots of people who do excersize and weights have a lot of shifts in water retention. That sometimes gives them false signals to lower calories. Time and persistance!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    mviqjfc2brmt.png

It sure does. I am much more interested in the overall trend, which is down. I don't worry about the ups as long as I refocus and bring it back down. We're all going to fluctuate depending on workouts, salty meals, vacations, TOM, lots of things.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kgailloux wrote: »
    I would like to maintain 135-140 but don't seem to be able to.
    But why?

What stops you eating the right about of calories?
    Why don't you react and intervene when your weight drifts outside your goal range?
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    are you an emotional eater? do you eat lots of carbs that leave you hungry in a short time?
  • kgailloux
    kgailloux Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have to be very militant to lose the weight, as my hunger triggers are wonky (no medical reason), then when I try to maintain, I can't relax because if I do I start gaining again. I try to eat pretty balanced and I do exercise regularly, but the stress of maintenance eventually breaks me down and I give up. It helps that other people have erratic charts, so at least I'm not alone in that respect. I have also never been able to figure out what the right caloric intake is for my maintenance. If I add more calories my weight goes up. If I keep them low I lose too much. Thank you all for the input. It feels like I may have to measure my food forever. Is that normal?
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've come to like the trendweight.com website. Website links to my Fitbit Dashboard info and it does all the fancy math to calculate and graph the data points (daily weights) and trendline.

I do "have to" manually input my weight into either my Fitbit App on the phone or the Dashboard on a computer.

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    While I am still losing I am preparing for the fact that I will likely need to continue to weigh and measure my food, at least most days, when I am in maintenance. I know that for me I need to make this a lifelong commitment. I've heard several people suggest the trendweight.com website, you should check it out.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i forgot to mention my weight graph looks like this as well, but i weight every day so i can better see and understand fluctuations and trends. It is and has been trending down
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all you who have worked at logging and reducing your weight. A really great accomplishment. Cheers. :)
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    fxofl144s9ch.jpg

Red is the trend; gray is the actual scale reading. So plus or minus 4 pounds of scale variation, but negligible actual weight change, over 8 months.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Or if you're looking for stories of initially unsuccessful maintenance, here you go:

442i6ws2vy4u.jpg
    All.jpg 48.6K
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi! I didn't read through all the responses, but you need to find that sweet spot in terms of daily calories that will put you at maintenance (so, basically do a reverse diet). Note the calories you're at while still losing weight. Then every 7-10 days raise your daily calories by about 100-150, then check and see what happens with your weight. Are you still losing? Then increase by another 100-150 the next week? Did you gain? Drop it back down and there's where you need to stay to maintain.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    mine always looks more like a staircase. I'll lose 5 pounds quickly, and then stay a week or two at the same weight, etc. etc. it's kind of weird.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kgailloux wrote: »
    I have to be very militant to lose the weight, as my hunger triggers are wonky (no medical reason), then when I try to maintain, I can't relax because if I do I start gaining again. I try to eat pretty balanced and I do exercise regularly, but the stress of maintenance eventually breaks me down and I give up. It helps that other people have erratic charts, so at least I'm not alone in that respect. I have also never been able to figure out what the right caloric intake is for my maintenance. If I add more calories my weight goes up. If I keep them low I lose too much. Thank you all for the input. It feels like I may have to measure my food forever. Is that normal?

Chances are, when you increase your Calories, you end up increasing carbs and/or sodium. Those both can cause you to gain a few pounds of water weight - NOT FAT. That is not only normal, but expected. If you continue to gain, then you've simply overshot your Calorie goal.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Yes, fluctuations are normal. That's why a goal weight range and looking at long term trends is necessary. If you go above or below that range or you see a long term trend up/down, than look to make adjustments.

w1pp4mqosdbr.jpg
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    mviqjfc2brmt.png

It sure does. I am much more interested in the overall trend, which is down. I don't worry about the ups as long as I refocus and bring it back down. We're all going to fluctuate depending on workouts, salty meals, vacations, TOM, lots of things.

Hehehe Ours look almost identical. My huge spike was Portugal. What was yours? :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    yes, even though I weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the toilet, it is still up and down, thankfully mostly down :)