Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Caffeine decline vs migraines

Just starting to try to eat healthy but am getting migraines because of less caffeine. I still drink my morning coffee but it's not enough. What do you do to avoid the withdrawal?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Taper off, use excedrin migraine (has caffeine), switch to decaf for a while, or just keep drinking coffee if there's no particular reason you need to cut coffee/caffeine.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Have a cup of coffee in the morning, and a cup of tea in the afternoon.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Yes. Spread the caffeine out over the day. So a cup of coffee in the morning, and tea at teatime. You want to avoid the sharp up and down.

Caffeine withdrawal headache isn't a migraine, it is more like drug withdrawal, but will become one if you are a migraneur (migraneuse?).

When I avoided caffeine completely, I got past the withdrawal headache, but then did get more migraines, more than when I do take caffeine daily. So I don't avoid it anymore.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    mix half and half for a while. Half caffeine and half decafe
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I took myself off caffeine many years ago; twice, in fact. It seemed like more of a novelty to get off it, and it wasn't easy, that's for sure. It *IS* possible to drink your coffee and lose weight at the same time, but requires sacrifice. I no longer drink a "medium regular", but get a large hot black with nothing in it... every day, no matter what the weather. Coffee has some definite health benefits that I'm not yet willing to overlook, and if you can get used to drinking it black, then go for it!
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Drink hot tea.