Exercise & Weight Gain

Options
Just added exercise into my weight loss program. Have lost 50 pounds with little to no exercise. Since I have started walking about 3 miles per day I have gained 2 lbs. I Hate exercise to begin with and then to see a gain???? What is going on? I am getting discouraged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• annemary724
    annemary724 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't lose heart! The gain is a really positive thing. You are getting fit and must feel great. I had the same puzzle, but realised my body was becoming happier, more toned and looking great in my clothes. Your muscles are responding to that fabulous aerobic exercise by strengthening and, naturally, becoming more developed and, quite naturally, a little heavier. Don't be despondent! The weight gain will stabilise and is a good thing. Assuming you still have unhealthy fat to lose, it will still disappear and the scales will start to fall again. Be patient and watch a lovely new bod appear!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Water retention. You're using muscles that aren't used to being used and they're holding on to water. Keep it up, drink some extra water and the scale will go back down.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You absolutely did not gain two pounds of muscle by walking 3 miles a day. :)

I also vote for water retention. If you maintain the same level of exercise activity, it'll likely fall back off in a couple of weeks. If you continue to increase exercise intensity / duration, it may take longer. But it's just water.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I always, always, always retain extra water when I begin new types of exercise or when I increase the intensity. It's incredibly common.