When did it become a habit?

Options
2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I actually got into the habit of logging food very quickly, less than a few weeks.

I am maintaining now 3+ years and only stopped fully logging 6 months ago, which is working great for me. I made new and lasting habits when it came to the foods I ate and quantities, it took about 2 years for me to feel I could eat this way for the rest of my life.

I cut out no foods, logging initially helped me with portion size and which foods were high calorie etc. I eat everything but in moderation.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It became a habit as soon as I realised it worked (back in 2011). And became pretty obsessive with it too LOL.
    I logged for about a year I think, then I stopped logging but I did check in every day, kept the app on my phone just as a little reminder -I'd lost the weight at that stage. That did the trick.
    Eventually about a year ago, I deleted my profile and the app. Could do it without MFP.

And guess what, I'm back now. :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Several weeks for me. The problem now is I don't know if I'll be able to stop when I'm done.

You're not supposed to stop when you reach goal. That's when you switch to maintain. You still must be mindful with your consumption to actually maintain without gain.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    A month or so. I've been logging for 4 years and have no intention of stopping. I need it to keep me on track and honest or I'll convince myself that piece of cheesecake really wasn't that bad :D Because I've been doing it for so long it's super easy now and takes me a few minutes every day. My food list is pretty extensive :p
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    almost instantaneous for me, although I was keeping a hand written food diary from the age of about 12 (I was a competitive athlete), which was very time consuming and arduous, so discovering there was an app that made it so much easier a couple years later was a godsend
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    For me it didn't take long. My brain thinks this is some kind of video game, where the goal is to try to match the calorie/macro number each day and my "level" is the amount of weight I lose.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Several weeks for me. The problem now is I don't know if I'll be able to stop when I'm done.

You're not supposed to stop when you reach goal. That's when you switch to maintain. You still must be mindful with your consumption to actually maintain without gain.

I said "when I'm done", not "when I reach my goal".
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I said "when I'm done", not "when I reach my goal".

so what does "when I am done" mean then?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    It was immediate for me. I tracked my food from my weight watchers days so MFP was a relief to have online and on my phone. I love seeing what I ate, the macros, and seeing what I can fit into my day. I don't see myself stopping, because when I stopped paying attention, I stopped eating correctly.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It never has become a habit. I use it as a tool when I need to and I still dislike it, to be completely honest. It is very effective though and sometimes we all just have to suck it up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Immediate. After two weeks of seeing how insane I ate, I vowed to change out the crap eating.. with better choices..

Oh yeah life is better when dinner and desserts are prelog around family and events! My family gets so many a calories to eat with me and I get the rest.. It works and I usually end up very satisfied that family does not interfere with me being such a foodie as I do enjoy eating and with the people I love the most!