Gaining Muscle

Options
Hi There! I have plateaued in my gains. I am 27 years old, 5'7 and 150lbs. I started my journey as "skinny fat" at around 121lbs (5 years ago). Slowly I have gained muscle mass BUT now I've plateaued. I am looking to gain size in my biceps/tris/shoulders/back/legs. I am moving from a bikini to a figure form. My macros are around 286 Carbs; 179 Protein; 66 Fat =2382 calories. I have been told to lift HEAVY for few reps and many sets. Any trainers out there that can help a girl out? :)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have plateaued in terms of gaining weight, you need to add more calories. And personally, follow a good structured program that provides balance and then add some accessories if you want. Below is a good list of workouts and links to their information.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi, adjust weight to be able to do 12-15 reps (where in the last rep you would feel like you would be able to do 1 more rep only) in each set. Allow 24h for recovery for small parts like biceps and 48h for big parts like back (depends on how intense the training is). I would lower the protein in your case from 179 to ~140g and move the calories from 39g protein to carbs and fat. 2g per 1kg on your body weight should be enough, if it will be too much your body will not absorb it and turn it into sugar. This is a suggestion, keep watching your progress and adjust everything based on that.
  • MISSJAMIENICOLERUGH
    MISSJAMIENICOLERUGH Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you @tziol. If I move my protein to 140g what should my carb/fat intake be?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    tziol wrote: »
    Hi, adjust weight to be able to do 12-15 reps (where in the last rep you would feel like you would be able to do 1 more rep only) in each set. Allow 24h for recovery for small parts like biceps and 48h for big parts like back (depends on how intense the training is). I would lower the protein in your case from 179 to ~140g and move the calories from 39g protein to carbs and fat. 2g per 1kg on your body weight should be enough, if it will be too much your body will not absorb it and turn it into sugar. This is a suggestion, keep watching your progress and adjust everything based on that.

Rep range won't matter if she doesn't increase calories. Calories control metabolic environment.

Just a piece of semantics... fat and proteins won't convert to sugars.. they convert to glucose through gluconegenesis.
  • MISSJAMIENICOLERUGH
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Rep range won't matter if she doesn't increase calories. Calories control metabolic environment.

Just a piece of semantics... fat and proteins won't convert to sugars.. they convert to glucose through gluconegenesis.

What is your suggestions on reps? Do you agree with heavy weight/3 sets /8-10 reps? Also, I checked out your bulking links. I see the SL's 5x5 is popular but I'm not sure if that is diverse enough for women. What do you suggest for women? Thank you :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

What is your suggestions on reps? Do you agree with heavy weight/3 sets /8-10 reps? Also, I checked out your bulking links. I see the SL's 5x5 is popular but I'm not sure if that is diverse enough for women. What do you suggest for women? Thank you :)

If you want one that is aimed at women, the two major ones are NROL4W and StrongCurves. But if you have been lifting for a few years, they might not be advanced enough for you, and you might benefit from a split type program like PHUL, PHAT or the 4 Day Power Muscle Burn Split.
  • MISSJAMIENICOLERUGH
    Options

If you want one that is aimed at women, the two major ones are NROL4W and StrongCurves. But if you have been lifting for a few years, they might not be advanced enough for you, and you might benefit from a split type program like PHUL, PHAT or the 4 Day Power Muscle Burn Split.

Great. I'll check the more advanced options out!
  • psuLemon
    Options

If you want a program that will make you cry, then look at GVT... I almost cried every workout... but remember, you have to address the energy side too.. so more calories. Probably 2600.
  • MISSJAMIENICOLERUGH
    Options

If you want a program that will make you cry, then look at GVT... I almost cried every workout... but remember, you have to address the energy side too.. so more calories. Probably 2600.

I don't think crying is the goal here!
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Calorie surplus is an obvious thing in case of muscle building. Glucose is a sugar and the excees of protein will turn into it. Apart from diet weight and reps should also be adjusted. You may not get same reaults of doing 5 sets 1-2 rep in each comparing to 5 sets 12-15 in each.

@MISSJAMIENICOLERUGH I would suggest eating ~4g carbs, 2g protein and ~1.2g fat per 1kg of body weight
  • BeefyUk
    BeefyUk Posts: 2,602 Member
    Options
    Typically in bodybuilding to promote hypertrophy ( muscle growth ) use a range of at least 8 / 12 repetitions.......low reps / heavy weights are used for strength training which in some cases may help in muscle growth via strength gains ,
    Concentrate on 8 /12 reps & progressive increases in weights ,when you can reach 8 reps easily at the given weight increase the weight slightly & you must eat to grow ( calories over & above maintenance)
    Hope this helps :)
  • 3_Stefan_3
    3_Stefan_3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you @tziol. If I move my protein to 140g what should my carb/fat intake be?

Even moving your protein I'd keep your calories 50/25/25 %

As in carbs/fats/protein