Stupid questions

Options
Notaphase
Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
Hey everybody,
People (the internet) tell me that if I eat less eventually my stomach will get smaller and I won't be hungry all the time. They suggest filling up on water instead of snacking. But won't mass consumption of water keep my stomach stretched out? Is stomach size a complete myth?
There's my stupid question, what's yours?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Is climate change/global warming real?
  • Notaphase
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Is climate change/global warming real?
    Haha, okay clarification: stupid questions about weight loss.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Will Trump win the election?
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If I stop eating, I'll lose weight, right? by one of my coworkers.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The water thing never really worked for me in the sense of filling me up. It works if you're actually dehydrated because we can confuse that with hunger really easily so it's important to get enough water, but can't speak to the filling you up.

I wouldn't bother trying to trick your stomach. Eats lots and lots and did I say LOTS of protein - it will quell your hunger better than anything.

In the course of my 5+ months of dieting I can say my stomach has definitely shrunk - I can't eat the quantities I used to eat. When I get even close, I feel it, which is actually really nice. I never felt full before unless I ate mass amounts of food!
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful regarding just drinking water

Water intoxication

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

instead try drinking a glass of water prior to eating
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    wytey wrote: »
    I'd be careful regarding just drinking water

Water intoxication

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

instead try drinking a glass of water prior to eating

"Under normal circumstances, accidentally consuming too much water is exceptionally rare. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or from long bouts of exercise during which excessive amounts of fluid were consumed."

^^^ Quoted directly from the article shared. To be blunt, don't be an idiot, and you won't have to worry about "water intoxication." (Not that you're an idiot. I'm just saying it's idiotic to participate in such a contest as referenced by the article :) ) I drink a lot, and I mean A LOT, of water, and I haven't had any problems. I easily drink 1.5 - 2 gallons a day.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently that described expanding your stomach with water and eating, it is used for those people that enter the "hot dog" eating contests and other food related eating contests. They not only have to expand their stomachs to hold more food, but also to digest more food at one time, so they alternate filling up on food and filling up on water.

So as long as you don't gorge yourself on water in place of food then I imagine you would be fine, but I also think that you would have to fill up continuously to make any kind of permanent impact on the size of your stomach, just like overeating one meal won't have a permanent impact on stomach size.
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's not a stupid question. A lot of people think quantity is more important than quality. That's not true, and I can go in a lot of detail with this but I'll keep it short:

Balancing out each meal with 40c/30p/30f every few hours will keep your glucose levels and everything else in your system balanced so you won't feel hungry or low on energy. Eat portion-controlled meals 3 meals a day with two snacks in between, and drink water all day long. At least 3 liters a day. And just start with small changes, don't do it all at once. Eat more whole foods and less processed foods. :)
  • Notaphase
    Options
    Another stupid question: Assuming you don't end up with loose skin, where does the mass of skin go? I keep hearing about skin's elasticity, but that doesn't seem to account for major size shifts. Does your body make fewer skin cells? What's happening to the skin on a molecular level? I watched a Ted talk that explained what happens to fat once we burn it (spoiler: you exhale most of the molecules), but what happens to the skin?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    When I'm sending a fax, does the paper fly through the air?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Notaphase wrote: »
    Another stupid question: Assuming you don't end up with loose skin, where does the mass of skin go? I keep hearing about skin's elasticity, but that doesn't seem to account for major size shifts. Does your body make fewer skin cells? What's happening to the skin on a molecular level? I watched a Ted talk that explained what happens to fat once we burn it (spoiler: you exhale most of the molecules), but what happens to the skin?

Fun fact: Bowel movements are composed of dead cells and food waste.

Also, if you lose a lot of weight, or lose quickly, you could end up with loose or excess skin folds.