Any recipes/ideas for meals or snacks with large portions but don't kill your calories?

Options
124»

Replies

• elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some things that filled me up lately w/ low calorie count:
    Thai chicken sate/satay with cucumber salad (I had 160g of chicken and 1C of cucumbers), and then some mixed greens as well for around 300 cal. Was stuffed.

Stir-fry minus rice and w/ lots of veggies (watch the oil) and a bit of protein

A tuna salad wrap (using entire can of tuna) w/ carrots on the side. Mayo was minimal (1 Tbsp) and I could have saved calories choosing a different tortilla - or none at all. Absolutely stuffed.

I noticed the 2cup aseptic containers of soup at the store. I container of Lentil & Roasted Red Pepper soup was filling.
  • ClarissaMcDaniel
    ClarissaMcDaniel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Egg whites for sure. I use egg whites in several recipes and the servings are always large and filling while the calories are low. I can make a large bowl of a healthier version of fried rice using egg whites for 300 calories.
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made an awesome chicken soup that was a lot of food and very filling. It had chicken breast, (less calories if it's boneless and skinless but more flavor on the bone) garlic cloves, cabbage, onion, canned corn and a can of Rotel. If you don't need the corn, it's even less calories.
  • Camigwen
    Camigwen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stoups, combo soup stew. Lean beef cooked in low sodium broth onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and tomato juice for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker and it falls apart. Season as needed and as many veggies as you like. I normally do one small potato, a pound or more of carrots, 3 stalks celery chopped fine, bell peppers (1-2) depending on size and what I'm craving. 2 cans corn, 2 cans green beans, a bag of frozen peas, 1 can diced tomatoes if the broth needs extra flavor, bring back to a boil add 1-2 cups barley and cook till tender. I usually add spinach or something leafy to my bowl when dishing up so it wilts just right.

This stoup is thick and rich, very filling, and you can alter the veggie combos to whatever you like. Lots of substitutes for barley as well, quinoa, rice, lentils, small pasta shapes with extra fiber and whole grains whenever possible.

I also like pasta salads with a 3-1 ratio of veggies to pasta, throw in some grilled chicken breast and your favorite low cal dressing. Some seeds or nuts on top for crunch.
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I hide veggies in food, think a lean beef bolognase with carrots mushrooms aubergine courgette etc in it. Feels like a hearty meal for a fraction of the calories. The same for adding lentils to stews or chilli bulks it out for fewer calories than beef. Other than that veggie soup is a saviour.
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you like cottage cheese you can make a bed of chopped veggies of your choice and top with a conservative amount of cottage cheese and salsa. I love celery, cukes, tomatoes, snap peas and onions. You can get stuffed on under 250 calories and get your protein as well.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I saute thinly sliced ... 1/2 onion, 1 celery rib, 1 carrot, and maybe add in 1/2 bell pepper or some broccoli or a couple of mushrooms and saute all together in a non-stick skillet with 1 tsp oil until just tender but still crunchy. SO good as a side, as part of a stir-fry type dish, even with an egg poached on top ... and it fills out the plate reall well!. ....
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Green veggies!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    For snacks I do a small gala apple with a circle of Babybel cheese, quaker rice cake (apple cinnamon or chocolate) with a little sunbutter (or PB), half cup greek yogurt and strawberries, a Lara Bar (Some have more calories than others, but they are made with nutritious ingredients. I like the apple pie one and the Chocolate chip cookie dough.), or the dark chocolate PB Kind bar. My nutritionist told me to pair a complex carbohydrate with a protein for a snack and make sure the first 5 ingredients aren't sugar, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, or enriched/bleached flower. She said it's better to go for a higher calorie snack with good ingredients rather than a lower calorie snack filled with sugar and less nutritious things because you will stay fuller and more satisfied longer.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I misread the post. I'm doing metabolic eating. So, I eat about every 3 hours....5 times a day. For my main meals, half my plate is filled with non-starchy veggies. Then, 1/2 cup is devoted to a complex carb. Another 4-6 ounces is lean protein, and about a tbsp or so of fats. I then have a 100-200 calorie snack twice a day. I am never hungry, and I am always full at meal times. I also drink a lot of water. I take in between 1100-1300 calories a day. I hope that helps!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    There are some good recipes on Skinny Taste. I just made the cauliflower rice. I added chicken to it. Everyone in my family agreed it was great.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is a half a cup of cottage cheese, and then fill the rest of the bowl with cut fruit. Usually a whole peach, or half a box of strawberries, or I just bought blueberries for this week. Under 200 calories for a whole bowl of food, and yummy, too. :smile:
  • lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mash!!!!! Exact same texture as mashed potatoes but even better. You can make a 600 great cauliflower using only 2tsp of olive oil. Makes 4 portions. About 72 calories per portion.
  • chriskalen
    chriskalen Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    chriskalen wrote: »
    I'm the same way; I like having a big meal!

So, for example, shakshuka with crusty bread and tons of vegetables, moo shu vegetable on tortillas, BBQ jackfruit or zucchini sandwiches with a fried egg on top. I find that rice is not usually filling enough for the calories it has, but I sometimes make homemade vegetable bibimbap, heavy on the veg and light on the rice. Or I've done cauliflower rice with bibimbap, too.

I also love making cold spiralized noodle salad (zucchini, cucumber, carrot, whatever) with a spicy peanut sauce and shrimp or tofu.

Would you be willing to share your homemade vegtable bibimbap recipe?

Of course!

I bought stone bowls to make it in, like they use in restaurants. The stone bowls, while not strictly essential, make it like 10 times better: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFLP06S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the bowls directly on the stove to heat up. Set the heat to medium or medium high. This step can take up to half an hour, so do this first.

Cook some plain white rice in your normal method. I like to add salt. Alternatively, make some cauliflower rice, steam it, and squeeze out all the moisture.

By the time the bowls are hot, put a little sesame oil in the bottom of the stone bowls (usually 1-3 tsp). Put a serving of rice into the bowls and spread it out up along the sides of the bowl, and then don't touch it so that the rice gets crispy on the underside. I generally use a cup or a cup and a half of cooked rice for myself, more if I'm using cauliflower. I use at least two cups of rice for my boyfriend's serving. He is not counting calories.

While you're waiting, chop some vegetables. I often do some selection of the following:

shredded carrots
    shredded or julienned zucchini
    julienned or cubed cucumber
    sliced scallions
    bok choy (shred the leaves, finely slice the white parts)*
    finely sliced spinach*
    finely sliced napa cabbage*
    other leafy green*
    shiitake or other asian mushroom (lightly sauteed)

You will not be cooking most of these vegetables so chop them finely!

I also cube up some tofu. I just add it uncooked but you could saute it if you wanted. You could use meat, too - just pre-cook it!

Once the rice is STEAMING hot and getting crispy, arrange the vegetables and tofu nicely on top of the rice like you see in restaurants. Don't skimp on the veggies!

Fry an egg for each bowl so that the yolk is soft and add to the top.

Serve with gochujang! At the table, each person adds their own gochujang to taste and mixes their own bowl. I add a LOT but I like spicy food. You can find gochujang in the Asian section of your grocery store or you could go to an Asian market or order it online: https://www.amazon.com/Chung-Jung-One-500g-Gochujang/dp/B002WTE0MQ/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1468249651&sr=1-1&keywords=gochujang It's important to note that adding gochujang at the end is where the majority of the flavor comes from. If you don't have that, you could use sriracha I guess, but I like the depth of flavor of the gochujang for this dish best. If you really don't like spicy food I guess you could use some sort of hoisin/teriyaki/Asian BBQ sauce. But don't skip it!

*Picking at least one leafy green is my method of adding a lot of volume (to trick both your stomach and your eyes!) so that I feel full.
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    lettuce :)