coffee and creamer help!

Options
I am a coffee addict.. I take a medication at night that unfortunately makes me feel hungover the next day.. this medication isn't an option to give up:( I drink a huge cup of coffee 320z and I put in anywhere from 6 to 8 tablespoons of sweet creamer or I just go to starbucks and have a mocha. I hate and do mean hate black coffee and every sugar free product I try ends up in a migraine for me. I get migraines anyway but fake sugar is a sure bet! Coffee also replaces food and I'm sure that's a bad idea or is it? Maybe if I drank a smaller amount of coffee? I'm not much of a tea person.. sometimes but no not really.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot of lattes while I was losing and still have coffee with cream every morning. If it fits in your calories and macros and isn't adversely affecting your hunger throughout the day then I don't think it's a problem.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I suggest starting by cutting back slowly on the amount of creamer you add in to your coffee and eventually you will become accustomed to the taste and you may grow to like the actual taste of coffee rather than the creamer. That's what happened with me and I'm down to about 1/3 of the creamer I use to use and have gained a greater appreciation for different coffee varieties. Just like everything else, no need to cut it out all at once, gradually wean yourself down over a few month period.
  • detailernick
    Options
    I too was a coffee addict when I worked night shifts. Was drinking Espresso by the pint (literally), several times during the shift. I got major headaches when I cut it out completely :(

That said, have you tried the flavoured syrups? They add a lovely sweetness (with proper sugar) to a black coffee, so the only real foodie sin is the sugar level. Hazlenut and vanilla are two really nice flavours.
  • hayleeannie
    hayleeannie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I decided to clean up my diet I decided to nix the coffee mate try soy creamer (lower in fat, calories, no artificial flavor,better in general) and I only had the recommended serving size. At first I missed my coffee mate, but soon I came to enjoy the soy creamer. Eventually I ran out of the soy creamer and decided not to buy any more because it's a little pricy. Now I drink my coffee black. I enjoy the black coffee much more than the coffee with creamer. My mom, who claims to hate the taste of black coffee tried the Starbucks "Blonde Roast" and she likes it's mild flavor, so maybe give that a try. Hope this helped!!:wink:
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make it fit... :)
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Try almond milk maybe?
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I also love my coffee! I just get sugar free creamer and a tbsp. and measure 4 tbsp. per cup. It equals 60 calories a cup.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    What is the quality of the coffee you are drinking? It does matter. The better the coffee, the less doctoring up it needs. You could also try flavored coffees; some people are a huge fan of these.

If you are drinking awesome coffee, I'm talking locally roasted and you grind your beans everyday and you STILL hate the taste of it black and you have to have creamer, then maybe you could try half and half with sugar or almond milk with coconut palm sugar.

Maybe if you gradually cut back on the amount of creamer you are using it will help.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I probably have 16 oz of coffee every morning. I have slowly cut back on the creamer and started using Stevia for a sweetener. Just a few days ago I bought fat free half and half thinking that it will be better for me, as it is real cream. I'm getting used to the taste. Just make sure it fits in your macros.