plateau

Options
Lost around 26lbs this year but have hit a hard plateau going on six weeks now. Just can't seem to break below 200lbs for more than a week. Any ideas on how to break a plateau?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    A week doesn't seem like a plateau to me, it seems like a blip. I'd just keep going as you are and if you're still seeing no change in 2 or 3 weeks, consider changing something.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    haloburn wrote: »
    Lost around 26lbs this year but have hit a hard plateau going on six weeks now. Just can't seem to break below 200lbs for more than a week. Any ideas on how to break a plateau?
    How many calories are you eating a day? How active are you? How tall are you? Do you weigh your food? How much water do you drink a day? Any health issues?

Lots of questions I know, but the more information you give us the better we can try to help you out. Losing weight is all about burning more calories than you eat. Usually when people hit a plateau it's because of not tracking calories accurately, but tell us a little more so you can get better replies.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A week doesn't seem like a plateau to me, it seems like a blip. I'd just keep going as you are and if you're still seeing no change in 2 or 3 weeks, consider changing something.

She said she's been in a plateau for six weeks, not 1 week.

• iamgunz
    iamgunz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly congratulations on your success!! I myself is struggling with plateau and just listing few things I am considering.

I have got a weighing machine for food, it really helps in knowing the exact amount of calories you are in taking.
    I have really started to pay attention to my portion size, in case I am not able to weigh the food.
    Drink if you feel hungry, at times we mistake thirst for hunger.
    Increase the duration of your workout, if possible try different workouts, in short "shock your body". I am a fan of Jillian Michaels, you can notice difference in 2 weeks!!
    If possible reduce your stress, it is one of the reasons for plateau( for me stress levels are high and they stop me from moving ahead!!)
    I am sure you would know this, but just would like to say again increase the number of veggies in your diet!!

Hope the above tips help you. All the best for your journey.
  • haloburn
    haloburn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OODone wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating a day? How active are you? How tall are you? Do you weigh your food? How much water do you drink a day? Any health issues?

Lots of questions I know, but the more information you give us the better we can try to help you out. Losing weight is all about burning more calories than you eat. Usually when people hit a plateau it's because of not tracking calories accurately, but tell us a little more so you can get better replies.

HI eating around 1500 cals a day, gym twice a week 1hr cardio / 1hr strength 8-10k steps a day, 5ft 7in, 1.5/2 lt water, high blood pressure.

Thanks for all the feedback though, think I'm going to try and increase my gym attendance and intermittent fasting, if I can break below 14 stone I am planning to maintain for a few months.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    She said she's been in a plateau for six weeks, not 1 week.

Dammit. Can't read. Sorry OP.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You've done so well, but yes 6 weeks is considered a plateau. Have you been as vigilent about tracking your calories? sometimes we just get more complacent and thats when we stall as we're actually eating more than we think.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    OODone wrote: »

HI eating around 1500 cals a day, gym twice a week 1hr cardio / 1hr strength 8-10k steps a day, 5ft 7in, 1.5/2 lt water, high blood pressure.

Thanks for all the feedback though, think I'm going to try and increase my gym attendance and intermittent fasting, if I can break below 14 stone I am planning to maintain for a few months.

If you are eating 1500 calories a day you should be losing weight even with no gym time. It seems to me like you might be eating more than you think you are. Do you log everything you eat? You'll get more accurate calories if you are weighing your food instead of measuring it or estimating. (Check out the thread "scale shock") If you really are eating only 1500 calories a day you might have something medical going on, but that's a rare possibility.

I know it's annoying to be told you could be tracking wrong, but it's really easy to make mistakes when counting calories. Try to keep a really good eye on your daily calories, always log them, and weigh all your food if you aren't already.

I hope you get some more responses that will help you narrow it down. Don't get discouraged over this plateau cause you've made a lot of progress so far.

• 8p6tr86z57
    8p6tr86z57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I’ve been on a plateau going on 3 months. I weigh, use this app, 64oz x2-3 a day. Macros and very low carbs and usually vegs. Broken feet and after no exercise. Stationary bike is even hard on feet. Just diet. My tricks aren’t working but I usually walked 2-3 miles a day before the feet. A lot of people don’t get enough water. Gave up dt soda 2 months ago so thought that change it!!! Nope! I’m at a loss. Bc of meds I have to eat like egg or cottage cheese then wait till I’m really hungry to eat.
    VERY important when you scan the food over 50% are wrong in this app. Considered getting rid of. When I discovered how bad it was just assuming I was right. After checking everyone and putting the correct info I started losing again but now nothing. I use to use carb manager and wasn’t that bad. This can throw you way out of wack!!! So check your foods when you scan. Tap on the wrong nutrition info and change
  • miriamandmaia
    miriamandmaia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That’s amazing that you lost so much! There’s a lot going around about ultra-processed foods. Cutting all the weird chemicals helped me to break through a (very!) long plateau. Just an idea if you haven’t considered this. There’s a great book on it called ‘ultra-processed people’ by a brilliant doctor (van telliken, i think).