Started new job, calorie adjustment?

Options
I started a new job this week, physical work for 3 hours a day Monday - Friday. I haven't worked a physical job since back in the beginning of 2014. I can tell I'm working quite hard as my HR is elevated the entire time (yep, I've checked hah).

Now my main concern is that I'm not/will not be eating enough. I'm 5'3" and eating at the lower-end of calories as it is. I workout every day more or less (running x3 days, HIIT and/or strength every other day and 20km walking on Sundays). I usually have a rest day, or an "active" rest day at least. I eat back at least half of my exercise calories usually, sometimes all of them if I'm particularly hungry. Still have 28lb to go to goal and use the sedentary level setting, 1lb loss per week.

I'm wondering whether I should adjust my activity level to lightly active? I'm usually fine with making my own decisions with this sort of thing but not entirely sure at the moment, so looking for any advice/experience in this area?

Should I continue as I am now for 2-3 weeks and see how my weightloss progresses and adjust if I'm losing too much, too fast, or should I just adjust it now? I do feel quite weak and tired this week but not sure if it's the calories or just being in a new routine.

Any advice, suggestions etc would be appreciated. :smiley:

Replies

• xWondertje
    xWondertje Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Either option is a working one. I personally would adjust my activity level on MFP, since I'm basing all of my numbers on what MFP calculate for me. But continue for a few weeks and up if you lose weight too fast is also a viable option.

Sorry, that probably isn't an answer that helps you choose :neutral:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As your job is going to be more physical change your settings to lightly active and see how that goes, you'll know it a few weeks how that's going for you, you'll have a higher burn so you'll be able to eat more calories.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Either approach would be fine. Personally I don't use the activity level thing; I set my own custom goals, but I would probably adjust my goals a little and then see how it goes for a couple of weeks and adjust again. I would rather accidentally gain a little over the short term due to overestimating calorie burn than be tired and hungry at a new job. But that's me. It sounds like you'll have it under control whatever you decide. Good luck.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a physical job and feeling weak, then you should eat more. As to the correct number of calories. I play it by ear and don't eat back exercise calories. I simply shoot for a specific calorie goal and adjust to get on track with progress.

For example, what I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.