What's the difrence between virgin olive oil and coconut oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I fry using canola oil usually.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    hal1964 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

"A little saturated fat is OK, but too much raises your bad cholesterol."

So the real question is, "How much is too much?"

I know it's Mayo Clinic, but how about listing your source? Also, listing "how much is too much".

Oh sorry. I don't think this, I was replying to another poster. IMO, coconut oil is fine. I mean, I am not going to drown myself in it but I personally do not fear it...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Coconut and avocado oil for cooking with. Also avocado oil for mayo. Nothing else.
    GOOD quality olive oil for salads etc. never cook with this.

Why should we never cook with olive oil?

It's a waste for the price. Good quality EVOO should only be used for dressings and such.

Oh, so just personal preference? I thought it was suggesting there was something wrong with cooking with it.

Where I live even the most expensive evoo is cheaper than coconut oil.

Low smoke point as well.

True but evoo doesn't degrade like some other oils at the smoke point.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Wait I'm very confused. I thought EVOO's smoke point was 325 F and coconut oil's was 350 F. That's not a big difference. Light olive oil (not EVOO) is more like 465 F, and canola and sesame oil are around 400 F... So why are people cooking high-temp things with coconut oil?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Coconut and avocado oil for cooking with. Also avocado oil for mayo. Nothing else.
    GOOD quality olive oil for salads etc. never cook with this.

Why should we never cook with olive oil?

It's a waste for the price. Good quality EVOO should only be used for dressings and such.

@Need2Exerc1se this.

I would say that's more true of coconut oil.

Edit: Not the part about dressing, just the waste of money.
  • J72FIT
    Options
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    zhz7yu5t0w36.png

Chart I found...

Interesting. I have seen so many posts on here saying to use coconut oil for the high smoke point. But if this is true I guess that's just another much propagated food myth to push the latest health fad.
  • J72FIT
    edited June 2016
    Options
    zhz7yu5t0w36.png

Chart I found...

Interesting. I have seen so many posts on here saying to use coconut oil for the high smoke point. But if this is true I guess that's just another much propagated food myth to push the latest health fad.

Seems so. Have to admit, I was a little surprised...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    zhz7yu5t0w36.png

Chart I found...

Seems so. Have to admit, I was a little surprised...

I'm surprised that sesame oil is as high (or higher) as olive and coconut. That stuff always smokes quick for me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The large majority of virgin olive oil's are a complete scam. They are full of junk that isn't good for you.

Both olive oil and coconut oil have extremely low smoke points and actually become toxic to the body when cooking at normal temperatures. It is best to use avocado oil.

Sources:
    https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/0000/oliveoilhoax.html
    https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2015/12/dark-side-coconut-oil-cautionary-tale-coconut-oil-extremists/
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @esjones12 you've been scammed yourself.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/oliveoil.asp

Olive oil is perfectly fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Wait I'm very confused. I thought EVOO's smoke point was 325 F and coconut oil's was 350 F. That's not a big difference. Light olive oil (not EVOO) is more like 465 F, and canola and sesame oil are around 400 F... So why are people cooking high-temp things with coconut oil?

Right -- in fact EVOO varies from 325 to 375, so I never get why coconut oil is supposed to be preferable on that basis. I choose between the two based on the taste I want. (I used to think it was bad if you might exceed the smoke point of EVOO, but research convinced me that Need2 is right on this point.)

Here's a table of the smoke points:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

Edit: oh, should have read to the end of the thread. I see this was covered.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

The article you shared even states that the findings proved that most olive oils labeled so, don't meet the regulations for "extra virgin olive oil".....

Personally I'm going to follow tips from Ben Greenfield, a nutrition expert who constantly interviews other nutrition and fitness experts at the top of their field. Feel free to continue consuming olive oil that isn't labeled correctly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

The article you shared even states that the findings proved that most olive oils labeled so, don't meet the regulations for "extra virgin olive oil".....

Personally I'm going to follow tips from Ben Greenfield, a nutrition expert who constantly interviews other nutrition and fitness experts at the top of their field. Feel free to continue consuming olive oil that isn't labeled correctly.

It's pretty easy to tell extra virgin olive oil. It looks and tastes different. But the non-virgin stuff isn't unhealthy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You should look at a break down of the types of fats in different oils. A random source I found just now (it has some references to USDA):

http://chartsbin.com/view/1961

Extra light olive oil has far less percent of saturated fat and more monosaturated than coconut. If you eat a western style diet, coconut oil could be one of the poorer choices (because it is one of the higher saturated fat type oils - more than margarine, lard, palm oil, etc), while olive would have less. This assumes you need more monosaturated fat based on an otherwise high animal protein diet. If that doesn't fit your diet, then that rule of thumb may not apply.

But as with anything, if it's in moderation, it's probably not a big deal breaker.

For myself... I use canola for cooking with (I simply find it sticks less) and virgin olive oil for eating straight (dressings and such). I have a fun flavoured oil that I use at home for potatoes (don't even know what kind of oil it is! haha). I can't go through enough oil on my own to justify having more kinds in my house. If you like the taste of coconut oil, that is also a consideration.

And to be clear - just because I said in that context it might be a poorer choice, that doesn't mean it isn't still a reasonable choice. Fat is still a macronutrient we all need after all.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Skim reader, eh?

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    One is made from olives and one is made from coconuts.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    One is made from olives and one is made from coconuts.

Dang, you beat me too it.