BF Estimate? Starting Bulk

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I feel like us former fat kids worry to much when bulking. Just lift hard and eat about 400 cals in surplus. You won't look out of shape it would take months of neglect to body and diet to gain any real wieght in terms of fat.

Not sure if I agree with that. Depends on your age and metabolism. I know for me, I used to be a "hard gainer" couldn't put on lbs at all trying everything then as I got older I found it not only easy to put on fat but difficult to actually lose fat too. From experience I learned that at least for me if your caloric surplus is too high and you gain weight too quickly it will be more fat than muscle. Slow and steady is always the key

I generally more favor percentages (10% over tdee) but 400 caloriea isnt unreasonable. Even the likes of Alan Aragon suggest something similar. In fact, in his book i believe he recommended 500 over tdee.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I feel like us former fat kids worry to much when bulking. Just lift hard and eat about 400 cals in surplus. You won't look out of shape it would take months of neglect to body and diet to gain any real wieght in terms of fat.

Not sure if I agree with that. Depends on your age and metabolism. I know for me, I used to be a "hard gainer" couldn't put on lbs at all trying everything then as I got older I found it not only easy to put on fat but difficult to actually lose fat too. From experience I learned that at least for me if your caloric surplus is too high and you gain weight too quickly it will be more fat than muscle. Slow and steady is always the key

I generally more favor percentages (10% over tdee) but 400 caloriea isnt unreasonable. Even the likes of Alan Aragon suggest something similar. In fact, in his book i believe he recommended 500 over tdee.

Just to add to this from my experience I have tried 3 "bulk" phases that ended unsuccessfully because I only would add 200 calories to what I was maintaining on and saw no gain and then didn't adjust...I think 500 is probably that sweet spot however

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity...is there anything harmful about having my protein in the 210-250 range? So long as my total calories are still where they should be...what would be the consequence of having protein slightly higher?

My intuition says this isn't as bad as having fats/carbs to high...but just curious
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No, there is nothing wrong with excessive protein. And carbs during a bulk is very beneficial as it stimulates muscle protein synthesis and replenishes glycogen stores.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    12-15%