training for obsticle course run in 6 weeks! help!

Options
I signed up for my first ever 5k and its an obstacle course run! I run reluctantly for cardio and am trying to learn to love it...I run around 3 times a week and only run about 2 miles each time. (I'm a sissy, I know). I do yoga nearly every day in the morning and evening for about 20 minutes each. To get ready I have been building up to 100 squats a day, 100 lunges a day, and 100 pushup a day (I'm at 60/30/30 right now). I am also doing different kinds of planks on the hour for minute hold to build core strength.
So my question is: am I going to die in the race? Should I be doing more? the running is the most intimidating part, the cargo nets and things look really fun...but I'm pretty worried about the rings...
Any advice to keep me from looking like a fool out there would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 2 miles and are otherwise fit you should be ok.

6 weeks isn't a long time but try increasing your distance for one of your weekly runs (slowing down a bit will help) and try to work up to 3 miles, a 5K is 3.1 miles.

With your pushups you should have sufficient upper body strength for climbing over obstacles (I don't think I've climbed a cargo net since basic training) and the adrenaline will help too!

Have fun!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Go to a playground and simulate the obstacles. :+1:

Take a day of rest between strength workouts. Daily workouts may lead to injuries.