Anyone with a Go Pro or even a knock off?

Options
Char231023
Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
I want to purchase a waterproof/shockproof camera. I was looking at the Go Pros, they seem nice but I don't need it for any sort of extreme sports or whatever. I am also a cheap *kitten*. So I was wondering if any of you have experience with a Go Pro or one of the knock offs.

I don't always trust the Amazon reviews. There is no way of telling if someone was paid to give their opinion.

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been using my GoPro for about 3 years. It is an AMAZING little camera that produces professional-quality video at a great price.... for very specific things.
    • In full sunlight or very well-lit areas, the footage is crisp and gorgeous. The dimmer the light, the poorer the picture.
    • If you use a tripod or a mount, video is smooth as butter. If you're carrying it in your hand, it can be super shaky and GoPro has no good tools to fix it. There's other software you can use to post-process, but it's a pain and it still winds up looking weird because of the GoPro's fisheye effect.
    • The GoPro free video editing tools for the PC are ok. Easy to use. I hear they're better for Mac.
    • Takes great selfies/groupies because of the ridiculously wide-angle lens.
    • The sound is only ok if you're using a waterproof case, and of course better if you use the open case or no case.
    • There are a ton of accessories available - mounts, lights, external microphones, etc, that can make it more adaptable. THAT is where they get you. I have spent more money on GoPro accessories than I did on the camera.

In short, depending on how you plan to use it, it could be the best gadget you've ever purchased, or you could wind up spending beaucoup dinero on accessories to make it do what you really wanted it to do.

Even after the growing pains of learning the GoPro's limitations, I still love mine. Many of my favorite photos and video are from that camera. When I'm using it in situations where it shines, it's kind of shockingly good.

• Char231023
    Options
    Thank you @jlahorn for your feedback. That is exactly the stuff I want to know.
  • ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    GoPro's are amazing and pretty seamless, but if you're just using an action cam for the occasional activity, then I wouldn't throw the money at it...

I have one made by Monoprice, and it is HIGH quality with tons of bells and whistles, including WiFi connectivity and a wrist watch for framing shots. The same model of GoPro would have cost $450+...mine was just under $200.

Again, nothing against GoPro but unless you have money to throw around, it's probably overkill for your uses.
  • buthoflamb6
    buthoflamb6 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was a huge GoPro fan for about 2 years. Then all the issues occured. Batteries dying way to fast. Can't handle being in the heat. Horrible editing features compared to other products.
  • masonannable
    masonannable Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I bought one off ali express one r0ba09sdh1wh.png
    like this . Works pretty good for me . Three batteries are very nice .
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I love my go pro hero + LCD!
  • Char231023
    Options
    I bought one off ali express one r0ba09sdh1wh.png
    like this . Works pretty good for me . Three batteries are very nice .

What is Ali Express?
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Love my GoPro. Hate the GoPro studio for PC. My Mac OS is old and I'm not able to DL it so I can't speak to it. I export everything to my iPad for it and edit everything in iMovie. My favorite part is making accessories for it but there are a ton of great ones out there. I use it nearly weekly with the work I do.