Sleep

Options
One of the many reasons I started this health journey 17 months ago was because I was on several prescription meds and I was increasingly sure it was my life choices that had me on them. I am very fortunate in that I do not suffer from chronic depression, but I was taking anti-depression meds. I was taking two meds to offset a couple of the side effects of the anti-depressants. Painkiller for chronic shoulder pain, and a pill every night to help me sleep.

Working with my doc the last year and a half, I have been able to get off everything except the sleep med. Last month I started tapering it down, and last night was the first night with no sleep med :smile: but I did not sleep well. Part of not sleeping, I am amazed at how I can become emotionally dependent on a med. I don't need it, I know I don't need it, but I had some anxiety about not taking it - enough to make the first few hours pretty restless.

Get up this morning at 4:45a, head to the fitness center. Start my workout, and I cannot find the intensity I need, anywhere in me. I have been making good progress in strength training and cardio over the last 4 months, but I just didn't have it this morning. Nada.

I am exhausted.

I normally do well with 7 hours good sleep, maybe a little more. My fitbit says I got 4. Ugh. This is the problem.

I have a new night routine that includes relaxation, mindful meditation for 15-20 minutes. I will have to focus on that more tonight. I will. Beat. The. Med.

Replies

• Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey cmtristani,

Well done you!!! That's amazing that you have managed to make such incredible progress, you really should be proud of yourself mate.

I just wanted to start by saying that it might be worth not being to hard on yourself over this, you came off your sleep meds and still managed to get 4 hours. Sure it isn't perfect or even good but this is your first night, adjustment will take time and likely the worst things you can do is worry about it. I suffer from pretty severe insomnia, usually I'll get between 0 - 4 hours a night, a great nights sleep for me is 6 hours and on the odd magical nights I pull off 7-8 lol Worrying about sleeping is the worst thing in my own personal experience.

Did you know that it used to be the norm to sleep in two separate sleep periods? It was quite normal to sleep for four hours then get up for a few hours before returning to sleep. Modern life in the last few hundred years may have pulled us away from this but it is definitely worth remembering for people like ourselves. I mention it as you may find that instead of waking up after 4 hours and worrying/trying to force yourself to sleep, to just do something (perhaps your mindful meditation, maybe lift some weights) for an hour or two then head back if you are sleepy again.

Naturally you should also not be so hard on yourself about struggling at training today, you're exhausted for an incredibly valid reason. Personally I just can't do training first thing given my sleep issues, I actually tend to train late in the evening and follow up with my carb loaded meal. For me that leaves me pretty knackered and ready to settle down. Meditation and relaxation may be the best route for you but always worth bearing in mind that this sort of alternative could prove equally/more effective. You really have to find what works for you though :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have allergies so I take Benadryl every night anyway. After a while I got used to it (didn't make me sleepy any more) so I added Melatonin. The two together work well, and some nights I'm tired enough I don't even need them to sleep. Melatonin, as far as I know (I'm no expert), is relatively harmless for most people and can be purchased over the counter. I take a 10mg tablet each night 30 min before bed with or without the Benadryl. It has been doing wonders for me. Once you get your body on a schedule, and exercise enough each day it should be easier to fall asleep. It is for me most nights but the Melatonin seems to put me over the edge and doesn't make me lethargic the next day. I'm usually asleep by 10 and up at 5 to exercise.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks @jonny15121983! Yeah not beating myself up too much, it is disappointing to get into the gym then realize it's just going to be an average, ho-hum kinda day, but thats okay. I did what I could. I know it will get better, I just have little patience so I want it fixed now.

@spliner1969 I read up on melatonin this morning, I am going to a shop after work to get some. Definitely worth a try, if nothing else. My doc said there would be a few nights, up to two weeks, where my sleep won't be great, so maybe melatonin can be the bridge for that.
  • JustRenee155
    JustRenee155 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @cmtristani I work healthcare night shifts and I use melatonin on the mornings I get home and need to work the following night. I take a much lower dose than aforementioned but thats
    because it's all I need. To each their own, but I highly recommend discussing with your provider and giving melatonin a try. It's given to small children with multiple health issues. It's about the safest, non addicting, natural sleep aid available to my knowledge. Good luck to you
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting off all those medications! What a wonderful thing to celebrate in your life! You can definitely get over this last med too. Sounds like you know exactly what you need to do. Relax, and it will happen. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd just chalk it up to a mediocre day at the gym and try not to stress over it. We all have good days and bad days there, anyway. :smile:

I suffer from insomnia at times, too. The very worst thing you can do is worry about whether or not you're going to get a good night's sleep; because that usually guarantees that you won't.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tried melatonin last night, it is definitely the solution! Good enough to get in a great workout and function all day. I know my sleep will improve every night from here on out. Thank you everyone for your replies!