working out during the womenly time of the month?!

Options
Who finds it hard to do and who finds it helps the cramps?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    It's just another day. Yes, I find it helps with the cramps, far more than any medication.

And considering my last cycle started between my last warmup and my first platform attempt I don't ever let it stop me.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    When I did have one I would just lift through it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yup I work through it
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've never found that it actually helps my cramps. I work through it, but I forgive myself if my performance isn't quite what I would like it to be. It definitely has an effect, but it's no excuse not to put the effort in.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Because of the pill, mine aren't that bad to begin with but I haven't found it to be a big deal.

You can try stretching or yoga for cramps if they are an issue.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've found that it doesn't bother me for things like pole; although, it's scary because you're going upside down, lol. I just make sure my cup is empty before class/the workout. I'm also a little self-conscious about it if I'm being spotted in an awkward position, aka a pose that requires a split, lol.

But for weights or general cardio, I find that I do struggle to lift/do as many reps or I can't keep up with my normal intensity. It's struggleville for sure, but I just do the best that I can.

I find that while working out my cramps do go away; although, sometimes they return after the workout is over, but I've not had an issue with cramps during the workout.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I won't like the 2nd day but I could. I just use it as an excuse to be lazy aha I drop a pound or 2 anyway then cause of water
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I take Tylenol and keep on keeping on.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I also want to point out that all women's periods and the severity of our cramping is different. Just because one person can continue to breeze through her normal workout no problem doesn't mean it isn't a real struggle for someone else, so pay attention to how you're feeling and just give it your best.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I haven't had one in years but when I did I didn't notice an impact when I had my period. I did, however, notice decreased strength just prior to the start. On the plus side, I noticed increased strength, recovery and energy during ovulation.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I always stick to my workout schedule regardless if I'm on my period or not...Depending on the severity of my cramping I've made adjustments to my workout but never skipped. Unfortunately I don't find it helps my cramps, but it doesn't make them worse.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I've found that it doesn't bother me for things like pole; although, it's scary because you're going upside down, lol. I just make sure my cup is empty before class/the workout. I'm also a little self-conscious about it if I'm being spotted in an awkward position, aka a pose that requires a split, lol.

But for weights or general cardio, I find that I do struggle to lift/do as many reps or I can't keep up with my normal intensity. It's struggleville for sure, but I just do the best that I can.

I find that while working out my cramps do go away; although, sometimes they return after the workout is over, but I've not had an issue with cramps during the workout.

I can't quote any studies but I have read that doing yoga (or any exercise) upside down during your period can cause the blood to backflow and increase your chance of cervical cancer. Again, I can't cite a study but when I read this just thought I'd mention it as something for you to look in to if you've never heard of that before!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I generally don't work out on the first (sometimes second) day of my period, especially if it's a gym day, but it's more because I just don't want to deal with that mess in an open locker room when it's time to shower. If I had a run planned at home, I just go by how I feel, but I normally take the first day off, it's a nice break with a good excuse (that involves lots of comfort coffee and curling up with a heating pad if I'm home).

eta: oh, and a lot of times it starts at about 3:30 am, waking me up an hour before my alarm goes off, so I'm pretty annoyed at that point and just want to continue laying there as long as possible. I only get cramps for about 4-6 hrs and have not found that movement decreases the pain, other than just helping to take my mind off of it I suppose.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I cant say that it helps with my cramps (which can be quite bad some months), but I dont think it makes the cramps any worse either. My period can last a solid 7 days, and I refuse to lose 1/4 of every month, so I wont change my routine at all when I'm on it. I dont think it impacts my performance so much as my it reduces my drive to push at 100%, and also it makes me way hungrier, so it takes a little bit extra "self-talk" to get through some months.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    After having a Mirena removed not too long ago, the elevator door scene from The Shining is pretty much what it's like for me for two days. I take those two days off from the gym, because seriously, Carrie at the prom and I'm weak as all get out. When it's normal there's no problem and just exercising regularly makes the cramps so much better in general.
  • lnculver
    lnculver Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    After having a Mirena removed not too long ago, the elevator door scene from The Shining is pretty much what it's like for me for two days. I take those two days off from the gym, because seriously, Carrie at the prom and I'm weak as all get out. When it's normal there's no problem and just exercising regularly makes the cramps so much better in general.

I feel very weak too! I find running to increase my flow. Loved all the feed back ladies. Thinking some lazy strength training instead today. Or not lol first days can be the pits.