Pros on drinking water?

Options
so I decided that from starting earlier this week i want to drink only water for rest of the summer(until end of Aug) but I want to know if thats even safe or what are the benefits from it?

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Of course it's safe.

Benefits? You won't have to worry about calories from fluid intake which is one of the easiest ways to get calories.
    Cons. You're missing some tasty stuff. This oolong tea I'm drinking is basically zero calories and very nice.

What about protein shakes? Is that a drink or a food?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    What do you mean if it is safe?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    why wouldn't it be safe? it's water. the benefits are you will be hydrated...and you won't be drinking calories. the cons....well, basically it's not necessary...all that is necessary is that you stay hydrated...being hydrated is good for you and helps your systems function properly.
  • marphoria
    marphoria Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Drink water as your only beverage? Sure, 100% safe and you should do it. But....only drinking water and not eating anything? Don't do it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    is it safe? :neutral:

Anyways, i think it's pretty obvious that some benefits include proper hydration, sustaining life, and replacing lost sweat especially in the hot months.

Some potential benefits include: less calories because you're drinking water instead of coke or juices which are high in calories, and drinking water when hungry to properly determine thirst vs. hunger. There's also potential benefits for eyes, skin, hair, and nails being less dry due to proper hydration levels. Water is also generally very very cheap.

But ultimately it is unnecessary as the same can be said for most all low to no calorie beverages (which are usually.... high in water). I personally drink coffee, hot teas, water, BCAAs, and crystal light when i can get it. And of course, the occasional coke zero. :smile:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Are you in Flint, MI?

Literally laughed out loud.

Op, pros- water keeps my hunger cues in check most of the time.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Do you live in the 3rd world or worse, Michigan, and have to boil your water? Otherwise I think you're pretty much fine.

Benefits of proper hydration? Clearer skin, you don't die of dehydration, helps you to feel full,you get to visit the bathroom 12-15 times a day to make sure it's functional.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You surely don't mean that you're going on a water fast, do you? As in, no food, only water?
  • veerod993
    veerod993 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    im not even out of high school... I know its safe i was just curious as to knowing if ill get headaches due to not getting enough sugars or things like that...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    You surely don't mean that you're going on a water fast, do you? As in, no food, only water?

good question actually...i wouldn't ever think of such a thing, but people try dumb *kitten* all the time.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    veerod993 wrote: »
    im not even out of high school... I know its safe i was just curious as to knowing if ill get headaches due to not getting enough sugars or things like that...

wait wait wait

answer the above. Are you going to drink water and eat NOTHING?
  • veerod993
    veerod993 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

wait wait wait

ill be eating food of course
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

wait wait wait

ill be eating food of course

Go nuts then. You can certainly get all of your nutrition from food and just drink water.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Prepare the jello shots.
  • TalkersNeverWin
    TalkersNeverWin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not water fasting, water alone is completely safe.

Water alone is actually recommended. Nature built our bodies to run off of water. There is no other (abundant) source of liquid on earth. Everything else is man-made.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Drinking water pro: you won't die.

OP you can drink other things, just as long as you log them. If you like diet soda, go for that too!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about water intoxication that is very rare and won't happen by accident.

Drink up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you eat plenty of other carbohydrates you likely won't get headache (unless you are also quitting regular caffeine) and even if you do, it only lasts a few days. If the majority of your liquid intake used to be sugary you will also enjoy the freedom of being able to eat more food. By all means switch to water, but keep in mind that very low calorie drinks (no sugar tea, black coffee, diet drinks..etc) won't hurt your weight loss so feel free to enjoy them whenever you like. The occasional calorific drink is also fine if you really really want want and can account for it in your calorie budget.
  • heidi4peaz
    heidi4peaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your body has this uncanny ability to tell you when it's thirsty. When that happens, have some clean, safe water (as opposed to sodas, juice, shakes etc..) Listen to your body. If you're not accustomed to doing that, try to stay within the range of 1 liter per day (give or take). Staying water hydrated benefits your skin, your brain, your internal organs (especially your heart) and it will quench your thirst far better than anything else.