Weight loss question, please help

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering; "Does height play a role in when your weight loss would be noticeable?"

I'm only 4'11. Current weight 177.4
I lost 30.6 lbs so far. No one has notice.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It might have a small effect but most people will not notice - especially if you see them every day. It also depends where the weight has come from, how your clothes are fitting etc.

People noticed mine very quickly as it went from my face first - it's also the first place it goes back on so it's quite obvious when i've overindulged.

People are also polite, they often won't want to comment on weightloss as you don't know if it was deliberate or if they are losing weight because of illness.
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1.5" and every lb. for me may as well be 2 in the way it looks and feels. What you wear also has alot to do with how you look. Wearing tshirts with rounded collars will cause you to look bigger than you are because they don't have any shape in them. Wearing blouses/shirts with either a v neck or a lower scoop neck type collar which hugs your body will not only give you shape but also make you look slimmer. I have to wear petite blouses because the misses are too long for me and make me look even wider/shorter than I am.
  • suziwat7
    suziwat7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know in the past sometimes I've mentioned my weight loss and then several other people say they had noticed how good I look but they never said anything until I mentioned it first. People may be really noticing just not bringing it up! I've also had friends loosing weight and I didn't really notice until I thought about it. But the most important thing about things I value about friends is not their size so I tend to think more about what is going on in their life and our relationship than their weight. Loosing 30 pounds is a wonderful accomplishment! Just the health improvements and what you are doing for your body is great. So try to focus on how much better this is for you rather than what over people may be thinking about what you look like!
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    And by hugging your body, I mean shaping it not wearing tight clothing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy some news clothes if you have not already. :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Some of it depends on where the weight is coming off. I had a lot of people know something was different, but not quite able to put their finger on it. "You look different! Did you do something with your hair?" Same ponytail I've had for twenty years. "You look really perky today." Perky? Umm... thanks? ;) "Is that shirt new? It looks great!" Same shirt, better fit.
    People are probably noticing but either aren't sure what to say, or can't quite figure out what's changed.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,568 Member
    Options
    People who see you every day probably not. Changes are too gradual. If something changed with your appearance very quickly, like nice glasses or a nice hairstyle people would notice. But if you cut a fraction of an inch off your hair every day nobody would.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Objectively: The same difference in pounds is a greater difference in percent on a shorter person then a taller person, so yes.
    Subjectively has already been covered.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2" and am down 23lbs since the beginning of the year. It's only been in the last couple of weeks that people at work have started commenting.

So I bet people have noticed you've lost weight, but maybe don't want to say anything yet. Oh, and 30lbs is fantastic. Go you!
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As long as you notice and keep it in check, that is all that matters. Let me ask you this, who are you losing for? You? or someone else?

Some people may notice, but don't say anything because they may be jealous and not doing anything to improve on themselves.

Great job on losing the 30 Lbs!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal the more noticeable it becomes.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    People are probably noticing but don't know if its 'appropriate' to say anything. Yes, it also takes others a lot longer to see the difference when they've been seeing you every day.

Congratulations!!!! That's great!!!
    I'm under 4'11" ! Nice to meet another "under 5 footer"
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As others have said, when you (or others) see you every day the changes are so gradual that you don't really notice. I've dropped 25 from my heaviest so far, and to me when I look in the mirror I don't see a difference (well, maybe a little difference, but not much). I do notice how my clothes are fitting (and in some cases getting too big). I did recently see a friend who I hadn't seen in a few weeks and he commented that it was obvious I had lost some weight. But for me, my blood sugar and blood pressure numbers are much better than before, and I'm assuming next time I go in my cholesterol will be better too.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3-5'4, from 132lbs to 113lbs, and no one has commented except my mother. As people have said, I think its a combination of many things; same clothes, politeness, busy with their own lives, and we're rather short. For me, its winter over here (NZ) so wearing coats all the time definitely doesn't help.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you losing weight for them to notice or for yourself?

I lost 50lbs and didn't get many comments at all but I didn't care because I was losing for myself not them.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Go shopping ;)