Muscle? Fat? Water? Eternal doom?

Options
I posted a couple of weeks ago about being on a plateau (along with my partner). Since then, I've taken the advice of both my doctor and people on this forum. Here's what I'm doing:
- eating 1,000 calories a day (plus most, but not all, exercise calories - and yes, this is doctor-approved)
- weighing and measuring all possible food, and doing my best to overestimate where not possible
- three two-hour aikido (low-impact martial arts) classes per week
- three half-hour Sworkit full-body strength workouts per week (a new addition to the schedule)
- at least one long hike per week (two to six hours)
- walking to all of my errands, plus a short walk every lunch hour

We weigh ourselves every Friday morning, and this week, I had gained over a pound. What's going on?

I don't think it's even physically possible to put on that much muscle in a week. Am I gaining fat? Is it water weight? Is there another possibility I haven't considered?

It's not the short term that worries me, but the fact that diet and exercise are a lifestyle change. I don't mind being on this regimen to lose weight, but... I mean... I was hoping to transition to a slightly more relaxed calorie limit, etc., when I went on maintenance. But I'm scared now. If I'm gaining on 1,000 calories a week plus exercise, what does that mean for the rest of my life? I don't want that to be my permanent regimen...

Replies

• Arkerbarker
    Arkerbarker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't know a hell of a lot about nutrition and weight stuff, but I'm pretty sure weight is always going to fluctuate a few pounds. Maybe do it for another week or so and see if there are any visual changes as opposed to the numbers on the scale?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    I usually tend to be at my heaviest on Friday mornings. Over the weekend I lose some water weight as I'm moving more and not sitting in the office. My weight then builds up again in the course of the week. This might be one possible explanation. TOM might be another explanation, more salt in your diet as well.

Other options: maybe you'd want to open up your diary. Maybe we can spot things there that are not right yet

How do you measure your sport calorie burn? You might be overestimating there as well.
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't know a hell of a lot about nutrition and weight stuff, but I'm pretty sure weight is always going to fluctuate a few pounds. Maybe do it for another week or so and see if there are any visual changes as opposed to the numbers on the scale?

I'm mainly worried because I weigh so little that "a few pounds" is a fairly significant amount for me - and if I get things wrong a few weeks running, I can gain so much that I'm in trouble. I'll keep doing mostly what I'm doing for another week, but if there are small tweaks I can make, I might want to do that.
  • Jeyradan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I usually tend to be at my heaviest on Friday mornings. Over the weekend I lose some water weight as I'm moving more and not sitting in the office. My weight then builds up again in the course of the week. This might be one possible explanation. TOM might be another explanation, more salt in your diet as well.

Other options: maybe you'd want to open up your diary. Maybe we can spot things there that are not right yet

How do you measure your sport calorie burn? You might be overestimating there as well.

Thank you! I don't know when I'm heaviest, but I've been weighing on Friday mornings since January 1st, so I guess at least it's consistent (so if I weigh more this Friday than last, the number might be off, but the gain is still true). I'm not sure what TOM is (unless "time of month?" in which case, does that affect men?) but I can pay closer attention to the salt for sure.

For measuring burn:
    - the strength workouts (and any additional Sworkits I occasionally do) are measured directly from the app, which syncs with MyFitnessPal to take my weight and stats into account
    - for aikido, I use the "judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do" option in the MFP database, but because aikido is low-impact, I knock off 30 minutes of the lesson time to account for technique demonstrations and so on, then cut the remaining minutes in half as a deliberate attempt not to overestimate my burn (so I log a 2-hour class as 35-45 minutes total)
    - for walking, I pay close attention to pace and then just use the MFP database entries for walking at that pace (usually 3.0 mph, but occasionally 2.5 mph)
    - I don't log any the walking I do for errands or during lunch (about 20 min/day, not very fast) to give myself a little "buffer zone" for accidental mis-estimations

I know MFP's exercise database is fairly inaccurate, but I don't really have a better way to do it, as I can't afford a heart rate monitor or FitBit or anything like that.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You say you're doing this with your partner--how are their results? It could be salt, therefore water retention. 1 week isn't alot of time, and I would recommend taking measurements weekly, since you can better gauge if things are moving by that sometimes. It's alittle early to panic, so just calm down and keep it up for a month. Then evaluate with your doctor. Weigh and measure your food. Your calorie goal is very low and difficult to hit.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    You say you're doing this with your partner--how are their results? It could be salt, therefore water retention. 1 week isn't alot of time, and I would recommend taking measurements weekly, since you can better gauge if things are moving by that sometimes. It's alittle early to panic, so just calm down and keep it up for a month. Then evaluate with your doctor. Weigh and measure your food. Your calorie goal is very low and difficult to hit.

Thanks! We weigh ourselves weekly, but perhaps we ought to buy a measuring tape and do inches as well. It's not something we've ever considered trying before!

We're both on a plateau. This week, he was down 0.2 lbs from last week's weight, but he's supposedly on a 1 lb/week weight loss gradient (and gets plenty more calories than I do, because he's got much more body mass). We've been on this plateau for ages now (a little over a month), and every time we see a little improvement, it's either unchanged or reversed the next week.

I do weigh and measure all of my food (except in situations where that's impossible, like in a small restaurant). I know my calorie goal is low and hard to hit - but that's why I was sort of hoping it wouldn't become my permanent limit. However, if I can't lose weight even while sticking to it, who knows?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Under eating + over exercise = stress related, transient oedema (aka water weight) + food in gut or normal fluctuation in weight + monthly variance (aka TOM) = weight gain.

Solution: drinks more water, give yourself time. It will pass. You've only been at this a month. With a lot of changes in exercise that can take 4-6 weeks to even out. Seriously, drink more water.

A loss of 0.2lb per week is not a plateau. Same weight for a month... maybe.

(PS. Use Happy Scale or anther weight trending app and weigh more often and you'll see that the change is happening.)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You asked this previously:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10398445/is-it-me-or-is-it-my-body/p1

Honestly, both threads have a lot of red flags.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    Under eating + over exercise = stress related, transient oedema (aka water weight) + food in gut or normal fluctuation in weight + monthly variance (aka TOM) = weight gain.

Solution: drinks more water, give yourself time. It will pass. You've only been at this a month. With a lot of changes in exercise that can take 4-6 weeks to even out. Seriously, drink more water.

A loss of 0.2lb per week is not a plateau. Same weight for a month... maybe.

(PS. Use Happy Scale or anther weight trending app and weigh more often and you'll see that the change is happening.)

Thank you! Perhaps I wasn't clear. We've been working on diet and exercise since January 1st (so five and a half months). We've just been stuck at a "plateau" for the last month and a half or so in that we're going up and down within the same 3 lb-ish range, but never getting beyond it.

I've just ramped up my water intake (which was far too low, but is now 2 or more litres a day) - and it's true that adding the strength workouts (and removing the once-daily five-minute cardio) was a recent change. I'll give it a little while longer and start checking inches as well, as recommended by another poster.

I guess it's all just patience; it's just that my limits are so close that I get nervous probably too early.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You asked this previously:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10398445/is-it-me-or-is-it-my-body/p1
    Honestly, both threads have a lot of red flags.

Yes, I did mention that in my post above. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by "red flags?"
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Jeyradan wrote: »

I'm mainly worried because I weigh so little that "a few pounds" is a fairly significant amount for me - and if I get things wrong a few weeks running, I can gain so much that I'm in trouble. I'll keep doing mostly what I'm doing for another week, but if there are small tweaks I can make, I might want to do that.

You already weigh so little? How much are you trying to lose and at what rate are you trying to lose it? And a doctor approved that few calories? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, it's not making logical sense to me.
  • Jeyradan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    You already weigh so little? How much are you trying to lose and at what rate are you trying to lose it? And a doctor approved that few calories? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, it's not making logical sense to me.

I'm under 5'2", have a tiny frame size, a desk job and sedentary sideline career, and am subclinically hypotonic with a low metabolism - so there's not a lot of BMR going on there. My body's calorie needs to exist simply aren't very high. Adding exercise bumps it up, of course (and the doctor did tell me to eat back my exercise calories - so for the most part, I do).

I'm not trying to lose very much (at most 3-5 lbs, but if I never drop below my current weight, that would be okay). It's just that I don't want to be stuck at 1,000 calories all my life - I'm worried that, because I'm not losing weight on my current regimen, I won't be able to increase my limit without gaining.

(As a note: gaining weight by adding on muscle would be fine. I just don't have the physical capability to pack on the muscle, so any weight I put on is more likely to come from fat, and I don't have a lot of "wiggle room" for that.)
  • yirara
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just a side note: 'metabolism' is not only the amount of energy your body needs to stay alive, it's also how your body digests food. Many people that are hypothyroid have digestive problems, especially with digesting fats (but also other digestive enzymes). That means lots of good dietary fat and other food ends up in the toilet again without their energy being used. That means there is a possibility that your body is actually getting less energy from food than you think. Adding to that, scientific papers talk about a reduction of about 4% in BMR in hypothyroid people; a one time lowering on the onset. That's it. Yes, this can result in a weight gain, but if food intake stays constant then a new equilibrium will be reached fairly quickly. Sorry, for me it's a question of not measuring properly.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    Just a side note: 'metabolism' is not only the amount of energy your body needs to stay alive, it's also how your body digests food. Many people that are hypothyroid have digestive problems, especially with digesting fats (but also other digestive enzymes). That means lots of good dietary fat and other food ends up in the toilet again without their energy being used. That means there is a possibility that your body is actually getting less energy from food than you think. Adding to that, scientific papers talk about a reduction of about 4% in BMR in hypothyroid people; a one time lowering on the onset. That's it. Yes, this can result in a weight gain, but if food intake stays constant then a new equilibrium will be reached fairly quickly. Sorry, for me it's a question of not measuring properly.

Thanks! This is really interesting information. I've never been told I have low thyroid activity, although I suppose I could always ask a doctor. In the meantime, though, I'll work on trying to improve measuring and tracking - perhaps at times when I'm forced to estimate food, I'm being too generous to myself...
  • yirara
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Oh gosh.. you wrote hypotonic... sorry, please forget everything I wrote. One of those days :s
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    Oh gosh.. you wrote hypotonic... sorry, please forget everything I wrote. One of those days :s

That would make more sense, wouldn't it? Yeah, unfortunately it just means it's really freaking difficult for me to build or tone muscle. Think "pre-serum Steve Rogers," but not skinny, just small...
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Jeyradan wrote: »

I'm under 5'2", have a tiny frame size, a desk job and sedentary sideline career, and am subclinically hypotonic with a low metabolism - so there's not a lot of BMR going on there. My body's calorie needs to exist simply aren't very high. Adding exercise bumps it up, of course (and the doctor did tell me to eat back my exercise calories - so for the most part, I do).

I'm not trying to lose very much (at most 3-5 lbs, but if I never drop below my current weight, that would be okay). It's just that I don't want to be stuck at 1,000 calories all my life - I'm worried that, because I'm not losing weight on my current regimen, I won't be able to increase my limit without gaining.

(As a note: gaining weight by adding on muscle would be fine. I just don't have the physical capability to pack on the muscle, so any weight I put on is more likely to come from fat, and I don't have a lot of "wiggle room" for that.)

Ah, gotcha - I see now & can understand your concern. That's a scary low amount to possibly consider as maintenance calories!

I do agree with above posts regarding giving more time to evaluate your plans effectiveness. FWIW I've been hovering around the same calorie intake for a few months now and am just now seeing the scale going & staying down.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    Ah, gotcha - I see now & can understand your concern. That's a scary low amount to possibly consider as maintenance calories!

I do agree with above posts regarding giving more time to evaluate your plans effectiveness. FWIW I've been hovering around the same calorie intake for a few months now and am just now seeing the scale going & staying down.

Thanks! I'll try to have patience. When I see short-term bumps, I tend to get nervous due to the lack of wiggle room, but that's something I'll have to work on. Meanwhile, it's comforting to hear that the same thing happened to you and you're on your way down now - I'll try to focus on that as I wait to see what happens over a longer period of time!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    If you panic about 1lb then yup, eternal doom
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    If you panic about 1lb then yup, eternal doom

Fair point well made.
    (Sorry, it wasn't so much the pound gain as its unexpectedness, combined with the frustration of the overall plateau. But you're absolutely right. I probably fluctuate more than that over a week anyway without knowing it.)