How do I know if I'm eating enough?

My fitness pal says I should eat 1440 per day. I end up eating 1200-1400. Is this ok? Weight has gone up after hard workout and is not budging :(

Replies

• Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    If you are eating between 1200 and 1400 calories each day, and getting a good balance of nutrition you are eating enough and unless you are very short and very sedentary you will be losing weight.
    Workouts often take a day or two to show up as weight loss, just as a binge eating day might also take a while to shimmie down to the waistline.
    Just stick at it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Anything between 1200-1400 is fine - If your weight has gone up its more likely its due to water retention from that workout as the muscles hold onto water for repair.
    Stick with it and you will lose, I'll just chime in with suggesting the use of food scales if you don't already use them - very eye opening seeing portions sizes when we actually take time to weigh our foods.

all the best :smile:
  • shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    You're doing great! You could be gaining muscle as it weighs more than fat. You could try tracking your bmi to see.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    mindycrls2 wrote: »
    Weight has gone up after hard workout and is not budging :(

For how long? After you start a new workout, there will be water weight in your muscles. Just give it time.

• emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    You're doing great! You could be gaining muscle as it weighs more than fat. You could try tracking your bmi to see.

Nope. Not true. Not gaining muscle at 1200-1400 calories a day. Not gonna happen.

And for the love of diet coke, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense, more compact than fat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    What weight loss goal did you give MFP when you registered? If your logging is accurate and truthful you should observe that 28 days of maintaining that calorie deficit produces weight loss of "total 28-day calorie deficit/3500". You can even use the % difference from the recorded calorie deficit prediction of your weight loss and the actual measured weight loss after 28 days to determine the accuracy and truthfulness of your logging. How long have you been maintaining your calorie deficit? Have you maintained your calorie deficit on weekends?
  • rokos2
    rokos2 Posts: 19 Member
    it really depends on how much you have to lose and how much you move and work out... to compare i eat 1500-2000 a day and still lost 22 pounds in 84 days but i also burn 500 a day exercising 6 days a week. and put in 10K+ steps a day.
    and bmi is BS... i weigh 188 pounds but fit into size M jeans according to bmi i am moderately obese hahaha
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    @rokos2 - how did you calculate the range of calories you consume with goal of weight loss?
  • rokos2
    rokos2 Posts: 19 Member
    i am set to lose 1 pound a week, sedentary lifestyle- if that is what you mean?
    but i am not sedentary and work out almost every day so i eat my exercise calories back almost all the time and still loosing. once that stops or slows down i'll reconsider but so far its been working.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    emmylootwo wrote: »

Nope. Not true. Not gaining muscle at 1200-1400 calories a day. Not gonna happen.

And for the love of diet coke, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense, more compact than fat.

Hmm wow..that's so weird. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and my body is toning up pretty well.

Fake muscles I guess