What will happened at the end of this?

Options
I am counting cal to loos weight ... So the smoler I get the less call I consume? So my question is at the end when I reach my target ... Will I have to stay at that small cal intake forever in order to keep the weight off? I am far from that point but I would like to know, can any one help?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You'll go up to maintenance, which will be higher that the amount you'll be on to lose at that point.

As you get closer to your goal you'll want to lower your deficit for a couple reasons. One, to help retain muscle as you lose. Two, loss slows down the closer you get to your goal. Three, to make the transition to maintenance easier. Generally once you're down to your final 10-15 pounds you'll want to eat at a half pound per week deficit, which will be 250 calories below maintenance.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You will be able to go up to your maintenance calories. That will be based on your TDEE at your final goal weight.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    No. When you reach your goal weight, you will start on maintenance.
    When we reach that point, some of us start to up our calories by 100 at a time. I lost consuming 1200/day. I have been on maintenance for 2-1/2 years and am consuming around 1800 calories per day.
    Many things will enter into reaching the number of calories you can consume on maintenance, age, gender, activity level. I monitor myself still and watch my weight closely. My upper limit is 5 pounds. I have been up as much as 4 pounds, at which point I cut back on my calorie intake for a few days. I am an older (64), on the short side 5'2-3/4", female, so I do not need as many calories as people younger, taller etc.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drop your calories as long as you're still making progress, even as you lose weight. You should keep you intake up as much as you can as long as you can.

When you hit your goal weight/body composition, you should start a slow reverse diet to get your calories back up. Keeping your calories low forever is not a good plan because it becomes much harder to stick to over the long term.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Or you can find out the TDEE calories for the weight you want to be and eat at that level until the weight stays steady at goal. That will take longer, but you won't have to juggle calories around as you lose weight.