Lifting, small injuries & nutrition?

Options
KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
Tl;dr I keep getting small injuries while lifting. How can I avoid this? Should I be adjusting my calories and/or macros? Or do I just need to slow my training?

More info:
I'm new to lifting. Just finished week 9 of Strong Curves beginner workout. I had to take a 3-4 week break for moving across the country. I repeated weeks 7 & 8, then moved on. I lift twice a week, doing workouts A & B for those familiar with the program. For the most part, I've been increasing my weights each week. I started everything at bodyweight & add 5 or 10lbs the next workout, as long as I could complete the exercise at max reps. I'm very careful of form & would rather take a break or not make my reps than break form.

On Monday of this week I slightly pulled my back during the workout. Went to visit the chiropractor. On Thursday I modified & skipped some moves. Back felt great, but this morning a past shoulder injury is aching again.

My stats: 29 years old, 5'6". Started at 165lbs & am currently 155. Want to lose another 15lbs. 1st priority losing weight, second priority gaining strength/definition. I have MFP set to sedentary (I sit on my butt most of the day) & 1 lb loss. It has me at about 1350 calories per day. I generally get around 60g of protein a day. I don't eat back any exercise calories, as I only lift twice a week, practice mild yoga 3x & walk anywhere from 1k-10k steps a day (probably average 3k). I have been losing EXACTLY 1lb/week the last 2 weeks (since we finished moving) doing this.

So, How can I stop getting injured? Should I be adjusting my calories and/or macros? Or do I just need to adjust my training? (Aka, add weights more slowly)

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When you went back into training normally again did you move into week 9 or transition back in from an earlier completed week?

Says you repeated weeks 7 & 8, but I'm not sure if that was pre or post move
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly it could be a number of things.

If you lack proper recovery there's a possibility that this can increase injury risk.
    If you lack proper technique there's a pretty good possibility that this will increase injury risk.

I tend to look at technique first.
  • KiyaK
    Options
    When you went back into training normally again did you move into week 9 or transition back in from an earlier completed week?

After the move I repeated 7 & 8 before moving to week 9 for the first time.
  • glacierlilly
    glacierlilly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LolBroScience - thanks for the post.

I (I'm over 40) started a lifting program and injured my rotator cuff in week six from lifting. :( Trying to stay positive and motivated. So now I get to focus on lower body, core, and cardio while I rehab the shoulder. Need more friends and support on here if any of you are willing as I track my food daily. I'm pretty sure I just did too much too soon - while I only did one muscle group a week, it was the recipe of all muscle groups that affected the shoulder. Traps, lats, bis, tris, chest, back. Anyway, now I'm doing band resistance - no fun, but has to be this way.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »

After the move I repeated 7 & 8 before moving to week 9 for the first time.

Well, it could be a case of "too much too fast" meaning you jumped back into the programming to quickly which can open you up to injury.

I would back off a bit, and then work your way back up slowly. Also, as SideSteel mentioned.. confirm technique/form is solid on the lifts you're having issues with.
  • KiyaK
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I think you guys are correct in that I went too much too fast. Probably some form issues as well.

With my new gym membership, I get 2 free PT sessions. I'm planning on using them to go over form for my major lifts. Once these injuries are back up to snuff, of course.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    3-4 weeks is a significant time off. You probably came back too fast. Definitely double check form. And make sure you have solid nutrition, sleep, water intake, etc (aka recovery). I'd definitely start by backing off to lighter weights and building back up.